Glock Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my first Glock yesterday and sent 250 rounds of pmc downrange. It seemed to me that the it was somewhat dirty stuff but it was recommended by one of the range employees not to clean my Glock until after the gold lubricant from the factory was worn off?????????

·
Registered
254 Posts
I personally like to clean a new Glock, but it's definetly NOT necessary. If you're new to owning a Glock just get in there and clean it for the knowledge, and to get the feel for it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Not necessary. You can run the Glock dry an it'll work!
Poeple believe in gun myths too much like that range employee. Use your own lune you'll be fine ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iRockGlock said:
Not necessary. You can run the Glock dry an it'll work!
Poeple believe in gun myths too much like that range employee. Use your own lune you'll be fine ;)
Yea I didn't take the guy all that seriously especially after he told me that it ruins the gun if you clean the gold lube off.

·
Banned
6,071 Posts
I personally like to clean a new Glock, but it's definetly NOT necessary. If you're new to owning a Glock just get in there and clean it for the knowledge, and to get the feel for it.
+1 I always clean my new guns before I shoot them .. part of it because I enjoy doing it, and the other part may have something to do w/ the fact --that's how I was raised...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
SnotRag said:
This all came up when I asked if they sold ballistol.
Ballistol is real good stuff, hard to find locally though.
I'm luck that I have a spot that sells it in Peoria, Az

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
iRockGlock said:
Ballistol is real good stuff, hard to find locally though.
I'm luck that I have a spot that sells it in Peoria, Az
Drive from tempe to peoria for ballistol...fuuuk lol

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
+1 I always clean my new guns before I shoot them .. part of it because I enjoy doing it, and the other part may have something to do w/ the fact --that's how I was raised...
Another +1 on cleaning.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The manual that came with your Glock states;
Your GLOCK pistol should be field stripped, cleaned and lubricated as follows:
1. Wwhen brand new, before the first time it is fired, plus
2. At least once a month, plus
3. After each time it is fired, plus
4. As required. This will be determined by the pistols exposure to adverse conditions such as rain, snow, perspiration, salt water, dirt, dust, lint, etc. Additionally, the pistol should be cleaned and inspected if it has been dropped or if any defects are suspected or malfunctions experienced.
Lots of folks will tell you its not necessary to clean your Glock pistol it will work just fine, they may be right but I would suggest following what is written and issued with your pistol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
david1962hd said:
4. As required. This will be determined by the pistols exposure to adverse conditions such as rain, snow, perspiration, salt water, dirt, dust, lint, etc. Additionally, the pistol should be cleaned and inspected if it has been dropped or if any defects are suspected or malfunctions experienced.
Lots of folks will tell you its not necessary to clean your Glock pistol it will work just fine, they may be right but I would suggest following what is written and issued with you pistol.
If it states before the first time it is fired are they including the first two shots that are fired at the factory?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Either way I went and bought some Ballistol and cleaned it last night. BTW I was fortunate that I found a Ballistol dealer close to my house.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
SnotRag said:
If it states before the first time it is fired are they including the first two shots that are fired at the factory?
I would have to say "no" to that question.
I can understand their statement saying " Before the first time it is fired" liability issues I would suppose.
Glock knew how it shipped from the factory to your dealer but what happened when the dealer got it before you purchased it?
Kinda of a insurance policy for Glock I would say.

·
Noob the forum boob
1,150 Posts
david1962hd said:
Lots of folks will tell you its not necessary to clean your Glock pistol it will work just fine, they may be right but I would suggest following what is written and issued with your pistol.
+1 from me I love cleaning my gun

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love cleaning my guns too and do it after every range. That includes after I shot em the first time. Probably a product of my upbringing, but I never had a firearm react adversely due to 'excessive' cleaning.

I really like the Balistol as it coats without the oil buildup that attracts dirt. It should perform well for you.

Have fun and be safe with your new Glock!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts