Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hard Work! Dedication!
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 33 round magazine and wanted to know why it only says 31 on the back?
I also want some confirmation on something a friend told me about not loading up his magazines to full since the springs aren't "broken in". Sounds silly to me but I'm learning.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
The springs on a new mag can be really stiff for some people to get the last 1 to 2 rounds in. They say to load it up the mag with out the last round in it and to leave it that way for about a weak to loose the spring up to get that last round in. When I personally get a new mag (regardless of capacity) I all ways load it up to the last round an leave it that way for a couple of weeks . Loading the last round for a couple times might hurt the thumb but I push threw that lol :p.

The fun way to loosen a mag spring up is to get out a put quit a few hundred rounds threw the mags. Cause the constant loading and unloading is what weakens the spring to make loading it up to full capacity a lot easier.

As far as the number on the mags go, I have no clue why it is a 33 rounds but only has 31 on the back. My guess is that it is an after market mag that was made cheaply but then again I truly don't know.

This little product works wonders with getting that last couple stiff rounds in: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/easiest-way-load-glock-magazines-3560/

·
ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o
329 Posts
I purchased a 33 round magazine and wanted to know why it only says 31 on the back?
I also want some confirmation on something a friend told me about not loading up his magazines to full since the springs aren't "broken in". Sounds silly to me but I'm learning.
The window w/ numbers at the back of the magazine is only until 31 but it has a +2 extension at the bottom to make it 33 rounds..

Just load up the magazine then let it stay for a week or two to stretch the new stiff spring for easy loading (full capacity).

·
Banned
636 Posts
The springs on a new mag can be really stiff for some people to get the last 1 to 2 rounds in. They say to load it up the mag with out the last round in it and to leave it that way for about a weak to loose the spring up to get that last round in. When I personally get a new mag (regardless of capacity) I all ways load it up to the last round an leave it that way for a couple of weeks . Loading the last round for a couple times might hurt the thumb but I push threw that lol :p.

The fun way to loosen a mag spring up is to get out a put quit a few hundred rounds threw the mags. Cause the constant loading and unloading is what weakens the spring to make loading it up to full capacity a lot easier.

As far as the number on the mags go, I have no clue why it is a 33 rounds but only has 31 on the back. My guess is that it is an after market mag that was made cheaply but then again I truly don't know.

This little product works wonders with getting that last couple stiff rounds in: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/easiest-way-load-glock-magazines-3560/
+1 on everythiing he said... I just went through the same thing for 11 rd and 15 rd mags for my G27... Give it a week with it loaded as much as you can and then the last rd will go in. All 3 of my 11 rd mags took a week. The 15 is still learning it needs another rd. Its been a couple days.

And as Boracua said... its a 31rd mag with a plus 2 extension which is why you see the window for 31.

·
Hard Work! Dedication!
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. And supportgunner, I purchased that uplula loader from amazon for $27 shipped and I load up my 33 round mag in under a minute, I love it. Oh and both of my 33 round mags are from Glock, no knock offs.(friend just got me another for my birthday today)
One thing I failed to mention was that my friend said it's "bad" to load the mags to full capacity since his aren't broken in.
If I keep my magazines loaded for, lets say 6 months before firing, will that do any damage to it since mine are brand new?

My friend owns an xd 40 so idk if those mags are different.

·
Banned
636 Posts
To elaborate on Mr. P.

Magazine springs do not do anything when completely compressed or unsprung... the wear comes from running rds through them... its the going from compressed to unsprung that causes the wear... no harm in keeping them loaded all the time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
voodoo said:
To elaborate on Mr. P.

Magazine springs do not do anything when completely compressed or unsprung... the wear comes from running rds through them... its the going from compressed to unsprung that causes the wear... no harm in keeping them loaded all the time.
Yup hit the nail on the head!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts