Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I *LOVE* the enormous set of choices available to gun owners when it comes to outer coatings and patterns. Compared to just 10 years ago, you can now get any color, any pattern you can think of.

So... could this actually be a bad thing?

Many people here who are over 30 will proably remember when many retail chains stopped selling toy guns, because toy makers were making them too realistic looking, and there were incidents of children getting shot because police thought their toy gun looked like a real one, and thugs took to using realistic looking toys to hold people up.

So with all of these coating options available today for our firearms, it's not impossible to get your short barrel shotgun duracoated in a color scheme not unlike a super soaker squirt gun, your glock to be coated that same Nintendo Duck Hunt Gray color. In short, rather than toy guns looking too realistic, we can now have our real firearms appear toy-like.

Not saying there are many requests for this sort of thing, but I'm sure there are at least some people out there who have range guns that look more like something from Nintendo than Heckler & Koch.

Before you laugh, think back to the last time you saw an outrageously painted car on the road. An adult actually made a decision to have their car painted like that, and those same adults are old enough to buy guns and have them painted to look just like their car.

I can only imagine the field day mainstream media would have should a kid come across one of these real firearms that are painted such that it might be confused for a toy and an accident occurs. Media would get months of use out of an incident like that. Congress would use it as a rally cry to pass more restrictive gun laws. We would certainly not benefit as a community.

I'm really interested in hearing thoughts about this, especially from those forum members who do coatings (either as a service or just for your own personal firearms). Are there coatings that are entirely possible to accomplish that you would simply refuse to do, or is the customer always right, and as long as their money is green they can get whatever they want?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
That is a very good question you bring up. Around here, everyone sues everyone else just for the sake of it, so would the coating companies become liable in some shooting situations?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
This has come up countless times before and here is my take on it:

if you motion at the cops with a cell phone you will get shot, so it really doesn't matter if you paint a gun in that regards.

Kids shouldn't have access to your gun, so rule that out. Also kids playing with toy guns should treat them like real anyway.

If you use your gun, let someone see your gun, or any variation of leaving it in the holster you run the chance of getting sued whether it has paint on it or not.

So IMO for countless factors it makes absolutely no difference. The Military uses Duracoat on some of their most special operations weapons.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
That is a very good question you bring up. Around here, everyone sues everyone else just for the sake of it, so would the coating companies become liable in some shooting situations?
You cannot hold a coating company responsible anymore than a gun maker. The chain of liability is severed by third party action.

·
is being censored
304 Posts
The liability as far as what? Inviting a child to play with a real gun? The law provides that any firearm must be kept from children weather or not it is painted like a super soaker. Would it be more enticing sure, but if you leave a supersoaker painted glock on the dinning room table and little Johnny picks it up and shoots a laser or two at your head you deserve it and deserve your kid taken from you. Like I've always said the gene pool could use a little chlorine

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thanks Nuks, I was just wondering. If I was still on duty, and I hesitated pulling the trigger because of a pink toy looking gun, and my partner was injured or killed, I would be looking at every avenue to hit the bad guy and any other source to hit them in the wallet.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Police guns need to be standard issue imo, the on duty weapon that is. It is simply more professional, and I have always been of that clean uniform, suit and tie, cut above image.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
nukinfuts29 said:
Police guns need to be standard issue imo, the on duty weapon that is. It is simply more professional, and I have always been of that clean uniform, suit and tie, cut above image.
Agreed...

I don't see any paint being on any gun being any issue, unless one was in fact painted like a toy, mistaken as a toy by a child, and the child then uses said gun and injures or kills someone... however this should never happen... At least it won't with my guns...

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I was introduced to gun at a young age and was told that they was not a toy. I was never allowed to See them without my grandfather. He kept them looked up and hid the key. ( he didn't start carrying till recently) I had several toy guns growing up and my step father bought me my first rifle at 13. A marlin lever action 35. Even at a young age I could tell the deference between a real gun and a toy gun. If dad ( who dosent carry) left a gun laying out it was unloaded and looked in its case. ( this ment he was home from hunting) I would just take it to his room. If kids are raised right and are educated about guns then it should not matter if the are all black or rainbow. They will know what is ok and what is not.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
Good question and good post.

Scenario 1: Cop gets shot by 19 year old because it was an orange real gun. The cop thought it was a toy gun.

Scenario2: Cop shoots 19 year old wielding an orange toy gun. He claims that because of all the new-fangled colors available to guns these days, he thought it was real.

Cops are faced with difficult, potentially, life-changing decisions every day that sometimes have to made in a split second. I am not saying impose regulation on what color a gun can be or that multiple available gun colors (other than black or stainless) are a bad thing. I am, however, thankful that I don't have to make these decisions that our law enforcement are faced with. My hat is off to all of them.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts

Scenario 1: Cop gets shot by 19 year old because it was an orange real gun. The cop thought it was a toy gun.

Scenario2: Cop shoots 19 year old wielding an orange toy gun. He claims that because of all the new-fangled colors available to guns these days, he thought it was real.

Cops are faced with difficult, potentially, life-changing decisions every day that sometimes have to made in a split second. I am not saying impose regulation on what color a gun can be or that multiple available gun colors (other than black or stainless) are a bad thing. I am, however, thankful that I don't have to make these decisions that our law enforcement are faced with. My hat is off to all of them.
Anybody who points a firearm at me that appears to be real is getting shot whether it be a 14 yr old kid or 35 yr old gang banger. It's the intent of them wanting me to believe that they have a real firearm and they want to do harm or cause fear in me. I say this because a while back I was seriously considering on having my 17 race gun duracoated in the closest thing to florescent orange. Because it's a race and a race gun only and I wanted it to be different from the rest. What happened if my gun were to get stolen out of my vehicle after a competition while I was at a restaurant eating. I would hope that the police understand that just because its a different color its a real firearm.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There are already cases of bad guys painting (not professionally done, but with spray paint) their guns to look like toys. Their goal is to get that half second of hesitation from a law enforcement officer.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts

There are already cases of bad guys painting (not professionally done, but with spray paint) their guns to look like toys. Their goal is to get that half second of hesitation from a law enforcement officer.

99% of the time you could have a cell phone, if you act like you might shoot then your done. I think airsoft guns pose way more of an issue than custom firearm finishes.

Some military guns look like toys, doesn't seem to bother them.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
34,729 Posts
We used them for Law Enforcement training. They were identical to our duty guns.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The issue I was questioning wasn't in regards to liability, it was more a question of should an accident occur (or a high profile killing) which involved a weapon that was coated in bright colors or a pattern which might be confused as toy-like to the uninitiated, would it become a ballywick for anti-gun folks to push their agendas with.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
CountryMick said:
The issue I was questioning wasn't in regards to liability, it was more a question of should an accident occur (or a high profile killing) which involved a weapon that was coated in bright colors or a pattern which might be confused as toy-like to the uninitiated, would it become a ballywick for anti-gun folks to push their agendas with.
Well of course. And if it wasnt painted they would make something else up. And it wouldnt matter because the blame would be put right onto the owner for making his gun that way. Has nothjng to do with the rest of us or the coating companies.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts