Question/Help Please

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by dan_iel, Feb 16, 2017.

1. dan_iel

dan_iel New Member

So i have a Glock 17 (Gen 3) its pretty new, only shot about 220 rounds through it, and i was shooting some cheap steel cased ammo yesterday, and i had a bad round and most of the powder didn't go off so the bullet got stuck in the barrel so i got home and got a little rod and a hammer and slowly tapped it out and i noticed it had these small cuts/scratches and I'm not sure if they were here before or not? I'm not talking about the rifling by the way. Its like 12 different cuts they go around the barrel in like a circle, I uploaded some pictures, can somebody tell me if this is normal? If it's wear or damage? Here are the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/KeoZ3

2. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Try a good solvent/cleaner/lube, like Ballistol of Hoppes. It may just be carbon residue at the base of where the bullet was lodged in the barrel. Then, inspect again.

3. kennydale

kennydale Well-Known Member

The only major AMMO failure I have had with my 2 1/2 year old G17 gen 4 was with
    Winchester White Box. It was during a timed Marksmanship Qualifying, they let me switch to my G19 to Finnish. I think i'll stay off Winchester White Box from now on .

4. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

I zoomed in and they look like they're in the metal to me.

No, not normal. Any chance they were there from the get-go and you just never noticed?

If not residue, contact Glock.

The good news is that you detected the bad round and stopped firing. If you had pulled the trigger again, you and your gun would have had a very bad day.

5. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

To me, they look like they could be milling marks from cutting the leade that weren't fully polished out. Some of my barrels have very faint remnants of that operation, but not nearly as pronounced as is in your picture.

That being said, I agree with wrpNYFL and PattonWasRight... and "If not residue, contact Glock."

Good luck! :D

Best regards,

Bob :)

ETA: The more I look at the picture, the more I like wrpNYFL's explanation. 'Soak and scrub' may indeed be the solution. As a note, 'carbon crust' can be very difficult to remove. I've found that a bore snake helps quite a bit. ;):thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like carbon build up from the squib. If it doesn't clean up, I would have Glock replace it. There is no machining marks in the rifling because the barrels are cold hammer forged. And pulling the trigger on a squib will not KB the gun, but it will bulge the shiite out of the barrel. We have several at the academy like that....

7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

DUH! Brain freeze! :eek:

Thanks for the 'reminder'! :D:thumbsup:

Best regards,

Bob :)

8. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

Bob, wait till you get old, like me. Brain stays in permafrost condition. If the marks were on the minor diameter, I would say a frozen pilot from the finishing chamber reamer.

9. Che

Che Member

Which brand of ammo? I had weak or under-powered Wolf in the past.

10. dan_iel

dan_iel New Member

It was wolf, never shooting it again.

11. Papa-T

Papa-T Member

The range I belong to does not allow any Wolf ammo on the property. Too many squibs and split case hang ups. Grey steel case ammo of any kind is frowned upon there. Have fired a few thousand rounds of Winchester 9mm Luger, and NATO, and .380's without a single problem. Well, none that were not caused by me anyway.

12. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

Their main reasoning is they can't use or sell the brass. Most ranges are no pick up brass ranges which means they sell the brass. There is nothing wrong with still case or aluminum case ammo. I have fired over 5,000 rounds of steel case ammo and over 10,000 rounds of aluminum case ammo and had no problems.

13. GPerfection

GPerfection Active Member

The price of using cheap ammo. If it is damaged you could always replace the barrel, learn from this and avoid cheap ammo.

14. Papa-T

Papa-T Member

Could be something to that. I'll ask the operator.. I do know they don't allow some specific ammo that is brass cased.

"No Russian or Chinese made ammunition (Norinco,Wolf, etc.) Only approved ammunition may be used."
    Also:
    "Personal Re-Load Ammo is
    NOT AUTHORIZED ON THE RANGE"
    will find out what reasons they give for that.

Also states in the Glock owners manual that,

"(Note: Use of reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition will void the warranty)."
    End of quotes.
    Will get back on what they say about why they have those regulations in effect at the range I go to.