Question for everyone

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by bryanbrescia, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Ok, so I have been seeing some INSANE prices online like on GTdistributors, but by the time you figure in the transfer fees to your ffl, you dont really save too much.

SO, I have a buddy down in Nashville who saw some ridiculously good deals on some 22's and 23's down by him and he suggested that I have him buy one for me, then when I visit him in May, buy it from him.

Now I guess that my question is that with me living in Illinois, is it legal for me to buy a firearm from him, then bring it back to IL and register it here? I just wanted to make sure that everything is kosher ya know?

Thanks for the input guys!

2. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

Found this online on google federal handgun laws.....
    "A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]"

3. ok, so I have to have an arrangement with a dealer in TN or IL also? Im a little confused about it lol, thanks for the help though buddy, I appreciate it

4. glock19desertranger

Seems to me like your friend from out of state would bring you the gun then you would have to take it to an ffl in your state where they would hold it during a background check, if you have one in Illinois, then you pay the ffl for the transfer and background check and you get your gun. Otherwise if you order online the transaction most likely has to be between 2 ffls or at least you would have to provide the seller with an ffl number so that they could send it to your state legally. At least this is my understanding I how it works.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

No it's not legal. You'd have to have him transfer it to an FFL in your state, and you'd have to pick it up at the FFL in your state, along with any other requirements your state has like registration.

I don't know the legality of your friend going to Illinois with a handgun. It'd be best to have him go to an FFL in his state, and have that FFL transfer the handgun to an FFL in your state. After the transfer fees from both FFL's and shipping costs you may end up paying more.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. You would have to have an FFL in TN ship it to an FFL in your state. Transfer fees on both ends. Be the same as buying from GT.

Cheapest, easiest way would be have him visit you in your state and only pay one transfer in your state.

7. Yeah I kinda thought that it woundlt be 100% kosher, but IMO, I feel like its kind of dumb that I cant just buy a firearm from a friend ya know? I understand the need of background checks and the paperwork, but still lol if Im already a registered firearm owner, it shouldn't be an issue ya know?

8. glock19desertranger

Your best bet is to find a gun shop and ask them they will be familiar with all of the laws and hopefully be willing to help with the transaction....

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Gun control laws aren't supposed to make sense.

10. Aint that the truth.....

11. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Glad I live in Missouri, no firearm registration laws.

12. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I wouldn't want my name involved in that transaction . The $50 -100 your saving isn't worth the chance of a felony