Question about guide rods

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dj613, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dj613

dj613 New Member

I was wondering if it is worth switching the stock plastic rod assembly out with either stainless or tungsten for shootability / reliability issues, and if so what was your experience with stainless vs tungsten. I have a 19, 27, & 30 sf, thanks in advance. D J

2. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

This question has come up a few times lately. Check out this thread. You might find what you are looking for there.

Btw...I have a stainless guide rod in my Glock.

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/guide-rod-replacement-4272/

3. dj613

dj613 New Member

Thanks, what model do you have and how do you like the stainless?

4. dj613

dj613 New Member

Nevermind I read your post, thanks again

5. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

I have a Glock 23. I installed a guide rod from BT Guide Rods. Although, other online retailers sell them.

btguiderods.com

I like mine and have had no problems with it. I don't really notice it helping with recoil/muzzle flip, but I guess I like the idea of having steel as opposed to polymer.

6. dj613

dj613 New Member

Yes that's my main reason also, i was just looking around online and thinking about maybe trying a tungsten rod to see if that helps with the muzzle flip, are you running a stock weight spring?

7. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Just buy a Gen4 and you don't have to worry about a thing. ;)

8. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Yes. Mine came with a stock spring. I didn't want to mess with various weights.

9. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Oh no. Let's not start that discussion.

10. dj613

dj613 New Member

Ok, that's what I'm looking at right now, I think I might have to order a few lol, thanks again for the info

11. dj613

dj613 New Member

Well for now I'm just playing with my gen 3's until the mood strikes me to get another Lol, I've been looking at either a 21 or 22

12. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Muahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!

13. jbranch12345

jbranch12345 New Member

I have a Glock 23 gen4 I purchased the stainless steel dual spring assembly from the Glock store. I hated it!!! I left it stretched out a couple days shot 100 rouds with it. Now it is love 100% reliable

14. dj613

dj613 New Member

Thanks thats good to know, I just bought 1 for each of my Glocks from Glockstore last night before reading this, I went with the tungsten for my 27 & 30 and ss for my 19, did you notice any less muzzle flip when you switched?

15. jbranch12345

jbranch12345 New Member

Well not much I got one for my 17gen4 and it's noticable

16. dj613

dj613 New Member

Ok thanks, can't wait to give 'em a try!

17. dj613

dj613 New Member

If you don't mind me asking why did you hate it at first?

18. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

I imagine replacing the stock barrel with a heavier steel or tungsten one would do more towards reducing muzzle flip than replacing the guide rod.

19. dj613

dj613 New Member

Yes i agree, the more weight up front the better, I wasn't really too concerned with recoil reduction but if it happens then great, my main reason is for reliability issues, i believe that a plastic part that moves and has stress every time a round is discharged is bound to fail eventually and I was cleaning my 19 the other day and saw the stock rod had some (very minimal) wear from the spring sliding on it so i have been looking into upgrading the rods for a bit now that just made me decide to do it now, i figure that spending a few bucks now isn't bad at all after putting over 6,000 rnds down the pipe, because knowing my luck it would fail when i need it most.

20. jbranch12345

jbranch12345 New Member

Fte every time but I left my slide pulled back for a couple days and had no more problems I guess it stretched out and now I love It really nice looking Anne well made