Glock Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s talk about brass. I have been doing some research on NEW brass.

It appears that you can buy big name new brass (Hornady, Federal, etc) in .45 ACP for between .30 & .37 each in a quantity of 100.
Cheaper Than Dirt: Federal brass 100 ct $29.99
Sinclair (a subsidiary of Bownells) and Midway: Hornady brass 100 ct $37.49

Then I came across this! Top Brass has new brass with a “Top Brass” headstamp (their brand). Their price for .45 ACP is $81.99 for 500 ct! That’s just .16 per case! This is a significant difference but is it good brass? I don’t know.

Does anybody have any opinion of this brass or any opinions/suggestions on brass in general? New vs. once fired? Is there a significant savings in buying once fired? Where do you buy?

For the one who will inevitably ask “Why don’t you just pick up your brass?” My answer: I will. I haven’t saved brass in a long time but will start now that I have decided to start reloading again, however, I know when I get my reloading equipment I’m not going to want to wait for my spent brass to accumulate. I’m going to want to start reloading right away, like a kid who doesn’t want to wait for batteries for his new Christmas present.

·
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good info. I guess my concern is whether brass you could acquire at a range would be good brass or the uncertainty of how many times it has been shot.

I guess since I'm concerned with that I need to buy a couple hundred rounds and shoot it for the brass. Do that a few times and I would eventually have enough brass.

I guess it makes more sense to buy ammo at .50 per round and have the brass when I'm done. Rather than buy just brass that's gonna run me 30 cents or so. I know you don't reap the savings until you've hand loaded a few times. Decisions, decisions.

As always, thanks for your input.

·
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been away for a little while tending to the duties of life and missed the replies here. Thanks to everyone, everything has been helpful. Now, if I could just finalize my decision on which press to get!

I can see where that mixed small primer/large primer issue with buying once-fired brass could be a PITA!

·
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure there are .45 cases of both primer sizes. From what I understand it's the only caliber that is that way. I don't know whose decision that was!

·
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just realized that my previous response may come across as "bragging" about my Brass find, didn't mean it that way. I simply was saying I got a heck of a deal on Brass on Craigslist and if I did, you can too! Look around on different classifieds sites and you'll be surprised what people will either give away or will sell dirt cheap. All the Brass i picked up is federal and winchester once fired and looks great; I just need to tumble them for a little while to give them a nice shine.

Respectfully,
I didn't take it that way, brother. That's a great find! At the range, if I pick up 1,000 9mm, I'll get around 400-500 .45 (or less), two or three hundred of them are mine to begin with :D. I still pickup everything I can get my hands on since I don't want to come across as being picky at the range. Plus, it's much easier to sort it in the shop than trying to cull out the 9mm at the range. I have so much 9mm brass now that I'll probably never need to pick up another piece. .45, on the other hand, is still in high demand in my book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.