Glock Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
For what it's worth, here's what I know.

I have never purchased brass for reloading. It has always been my own previously-fired brass, or range brass, and range brass that I know is once-fired is always a treasure.

That being said, my good friend and former next door neighbor asked me to load a bunch of .223 for him. For his he purchased Remington .223 brass, new and unfired. When I checked the brass (5 bags of 100ct each), more than 2/3 needed to be trimmed to length. In my mind, new brass should be to spec and ready to load. I told him never to buy factory new brass again, just collect what he has fired or what he has picked up at the range.

I have zero experience with factory new pistol brass, or any other kind of factory new brass other than mentioned here.

My concern is not so much cost as it is quality and conformity to established standards. I spent way too much time trimming all that factory new brass to justify the cost of buying it for whatever consideration.

Now, would I buy new brass? If I ever ran out of brass to load, then YES, but until then, NO.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Some ranges will sell the used brass they`ve collected off the floor from other shooters.

The big range in Las Vegas does this.

It`s cheaper than buying live ammo, but it`s mixed brands and calibers. Since I collect brass from our range (about 500 miles north of Vegas), I would not buy like that, but I can see reloaders in Vegas doing so. I think it is sold by the pound, and if I recall correctly (this was about 3 years or so ago) it was something like $5/lb for small pistol brass (up to 9mm). I may be wrong, it`s been so long ago.

of course, there is no way of knowing the quality ad condition of the brass until you`ve cleaned it and inspected it closely, and maybe not even then. However, if collecting brass off of the range floor is not possible, this is an option.

Just throwing that out for consideration as another possibility....

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I can see where that mixed small primer/large primer issue with buying once-fired brass could be a PITA!
The primer size just depends on the caliber you are loading. Small Pistol Primer for 9mm, .380, .38SPL, .357MAG, .40S&W, and Large Pistol Primer for .45....and Small Rifle Primer for .223.

The confusing question would be something like:

For 9mm, should I use WSP (Winchester Small Primer), or Small Pistol Magnum primer, or Small Pistol Benchrest primer.

Then it gets confusing!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I only ever use large pistol primers in .45ACP, sometimes large magnum primers.

Small in everything else.

Never used benchrest primers.

CCI for .223, Winchester by preference for everything else.

But that's only my preference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.