Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Is the handle of the gun facing toward your front or back. If toward your back, I could see that as a viable way to carry and draw, but if toward the front, I just can't picture drawing your weapon in a timely manner that way. Any way you could post a pic of the holster?

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
I'm sorry, 10 o'clock, disregard previous post. I carry IWB like that sometimes when I drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't carry crossdraw. RH as well, but I carry at 1 o'clock position with the grip angled toward the 3 o'clock position.

Cross draw seems more natural...I wear my knife/dagger/sword (when in costume) on my left to crossdraw...but for some reason, I'm not smooth on the crossdraw with a pistol. Something about it makes me fumble...which makes no sense to me as drawing a knife or sword is the same motion...

·
Registered
479 Posts
reagan said:
Toward the front, (see attached photo) the drawback I see is the barrel is aiming my "johnson rod", but that's a small target! SORRY, the pic is inverted!
That looks like a steep angle for cross draw. The grip is pointed to your left side which means you'd be drawing slightly left away from your RH in order to clear the holster. Doesn't seem comfortable to me. Is it a comfortable draw for you? Maybe if you canted the holster/grip toward your RH it might alleviate that odd angle.

If you like "front" IWB carry, have you tried 1:00-2:00?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tried the 1-2 o'clock...feels as the same comfort level....but the draw, seems as you're lifting UP more than at the crossdraw (10 oc) ,reach over and pull right with little UP pull...but maybe it's just my lack of experience.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Everyone's body is different. If it feels comfortable and you can draw your weapon easily, I say do what works best for you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It is what ever works for you. The only downside that is related to cross draw is if in close contact trying to draw, the BG can control your right arm/hand during the draw as opposed to strong side draw. Keep that in mind but like I said it is what works for you and keeps you carrying.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks much ya'all! What a great resource this is, along with the people that take the time to make YouTube instruction videos !

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The other issue with crossdraw is getting on target. When you wear it on or behind your hip, 4-5 o'clock, you can bring the gun up, into your chest and then out, which is the draw stroke that gets you most consistently and most easily on target. You are able to acquire your sights more quickly and when it comes to drawing and getting on target, faster is better.

The way you've got it now makes for an awkward and slow draw stroke, makes weapon retention more difficult in a close in situation, and simply cannot be made smooth nor fast.

Comfort is not the primary concern when carrying. It's important, because if you're too uncomfortable you won't carry at all, but accessibility, safety and speed are far more important.

I would suggest, if you can't get comfortable with it at 4-5 o'clock IWB, that you switch to OWB. With a good gun belt and a good quality holster, OWB carry can be just as concealable as IWB carry, and it's 200% more comfortable! I speak from experience when I say that if your waist size is 38 or more OWB is far more comfortable. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Funny fact Wild Bill did not cross his arms to draw his guns, as one would think by the way he holstered his pistols. He used the plains men draw. Right hand grabbed from right holster, left hand from left.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I wear mine at 4 o'clock. I believe carrying IWB is an advantage because of the criminals not knowing your carrying. Being at 4 0'clock I can discreetly draw my weapon before they would know. I had to once in a bathroom on the 4th of July when 3 guys blocked me in from the door demanding money or they'll hurt me. I used my left hand to lift my shirt pulled my weapon and pointed it from my hip at the first guy (having my crimson trace laser pointed on his center mass) asking them to get on the ground and they did. I guess the point is I feel as if I reached across my chest for my weapon they might have knew I was going for a weapon and rushed on me.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,430 Posts
Lucian_253 said:
Funny fact Wild Bill did not cross his arms to draw his guns, as one would think by the way he holstered his pistols. He used the plains men draw. Right hand grabbed from right holster, left hand from left.
Aka cavalry draw & reverse draw.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't carry crossdraw. RH as well, but I carry at 1 o'clock position with the grip angled toward the 3 o'clock position.

Cross draw seems more natural...I wear my knife/dagger/sword (when in costume) on my left to crossdraw...but for some reason, I'm not smooth on the crossdraw with a pistol. Something about it makes me fumble...which makes no sense to me as drawing a knife or sword is the same motion...
Hardly know where to start responding to this one :D
First post I've ever seen where the side on which the sword is worn came up. Liked it even better before I saw the mention of the costume lol. Can't believe this drew no comments.

I also wear my sword on the left (not kidding, I actually have worn a sword. Long story). Crossdraw necessary to clear the scabbard. Plus, unlike gun, crossdrawn sword is already in a usable position.

Of course if you have the sword on the left, you really have to have gun on the right...
This is the most fun I've ever had responding to a post.:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
From that pic, I would think if the grip was parallel to the belt it would be much more comfortable. You would have less in your way for bending over or sitting down... And as mentioned previously, more of the proper angle to draw.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts