Primer Shortage?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by jwilli22, May 27, 2012.

1. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Is anyone else having trouble finding primers in stock? Here local and online cci and Federal are on back order. These are the only types I've ever used so if anyone has any recommendation on other brands, I am all ears.

2. My local big store is showing a shortage which normally has more on hand than you could ever use, not sure about the other locals. I bought 1000 last Saturday, went back Wednesday and bought the last 800 small pistols they had. Went to my first gun show in a while yesterday just for primers.....picked up 3000. I should have picked up 6.

Primers are always the first thing to go.........gotta love election years.

3. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

I think when I do find some I'm going to buy as many as I can get my hands on. Glad you found some and yes gotta love election years.

4. Just got back from the local Sportsmans. No regular small pistol primers of any kind. Only about 2k worth of magnum small pistol, about 8k of regular large pistol and about 8k of magnum large pistol.

I bought the last 500 Berry plated 9mm they had.

5. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Go to powder valley online (www.powdervalley.com) they had em in stock. Also, Winchester is very good i use those mostly.

6. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Thanks for the heads up Zipper, will give it a try. Mike, I buy my Berry's bullets direct, they are $12$-16 cheaper than I can buy online with free shipping.

7. To be honest I did not know I could buy direct. That's more than $20 savings per 1000 over buying boxes of 250 local.

8. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

It takes a little planning because shipping isn't quick for me but I think it's worth it. Btw, I just purchased my first 8 lb powder as well.

9. Just how slow is their shipping? I have about 5,000 primers currently. How much was the powder and where at?

10. shaker223

shaker223 Boost Rules

Usually within a week to me in Michigan. To take "full" advantage you need to max out the carton weight to cover the hazmat fee. Mixing powder and primers is OK. Even with the hazmat fee there are significant savings over local. Gander Mountain by me charges anywhere from $27-30 per pound.

11. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Those are about the prices here.

12. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Mike, I am in NC and longest shipping time from Barry's was 10 days. I bought the powder from Sinclair UNIQUE SMOKELESS POWDER, 8 LB for $114 & ACCURATE NO. 2 IMPROVED 5 LB for $73. There was a Hazardous material charge of $27. Compared to $22 and $23 a lbs here local.

13. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

So I found primers today, local store was stocking them when I got there. 10,000 small pistol & 4,000 large.

14. You bought that many? If so good on you.

15. zipper046

LOL, just counted up mine...35,000 plus 2,000 more ordered from Powder Valley. $26/1000 for Winchester or Federal.

UNIQUE powder - 8lbs going for $103.90..

Have to look up what shipping is, usually $25...

16. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Yeah Mike, I started out with 5,000 small primers and then went back and got another 5.:D Thanks for the heads up Zipper, those are way better price than what I am paying.

17. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Zipper, if you don't mind me asking, Do you use Unique and if so what calibers? I load 124gr 9mm & 230gr 45. I wondering what other are doing.

18. zipper046

No prob. I reload .40 exclusively. I switch between Unique and Titegroup.

For .40 plated or jacketed i run 180 grain heads over 5.5 - 5.6 grains of Unique. Makes major out of my competition G35.

For .40 lead heads i run 180 grain heads over 4.8 grains of Unique. Doesnt make major, but also doesnt lead up my barrel.

Some guys i know use Unique in .45acp also, but dont know the charge.

I like Unique. With plated or jacketed heads it burns clean, is accurate, and its a little less expensive. With lead heads its a bit smokey, but still accurate and again less expensive.

Z-

19. Those are both local pricing for me.

20. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Thanks for the info Z, been reloading for a little while now and I like to ask. Mike, that's awesome you can get those prices local. Here primers are $35.99/1000 but they discounted them to $30 since I bought so many, thought I was getting a deal until I hear these prices. Live and learn.