Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Peeps,

Haven’t posted in a while. I am sure we are all suffering under the ammo shortage. I just can’t believe how bad online stores are price gouging on the ammo they have in stock. $50 for a box of 50 rounds of 9mm is absurd. I refuse to pay $1 per round. I went to a local gun range yesterday and they had 9mm at $1 per round also. By the grace of God I scored some 9mm at Cabelas about 6 weeks ago at 15 bucks per box. I survived the ammo shortage of 2008 and I don’t remember price gouging like this.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hello Peeps,

Haven’t posted in a while. I am sure we are all suffering under the ammo shortage. I just can’t believe how bad online stores are price gouging on the ammo they have in stock. $50 for a box of 50 rounds of 9mm is absurd. I refuse to pay $1 per round. I went to a local gun range yesterday and they had 9mm at $1 per round also. By the grace of God I scored some 9mm at Cabelas about 6 weeks ago at 15 bucks per box. I survived the ammo shortage of 2008 and I don’t remember price gouging like this.
more people not knowing any better, buying up guns like Snickers candy bars, and buying ammo they need, are the ones will to pay the high prices, and the warehouses are raking it all in.

there should have been some sort of executive order, barring selling anything above pre-covid prices.

much like when we have a blizzard, and the stores jack up a gallon of milk from $6.00 to $12.00.

the governors clamp down on price gouging, making it a criminal offense.

·
Gunslinger
9,757 Posts
Hello Peeps,

Good to hear from you again Walter. Where you been?

·
Gunslinger
9,757 Posts
more people not knowing any better, buying up guns like Snickers candy bars, and buying ammo they need, are the ones will to pay the high prices, and the warehouses are raking it all in.

there should have been some sort of executive order, barring selling anything above pre-covid prices.

much like when we have a blizzard, and the stores jack up a gallon of milk from $6.00 to $12.00.

the governors clamp down on price gouging, making it a criminal offense.
I don't really know a good answer to the problem. I hate price gougers but I also hate Govt control. The key is for everyone to stop buying. The gougers will then have to choose between lowering prices or going out of business.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't really know a good answer to the problem. I hate price gougers but I also hate Govt control. The key is for everyone to stop buying. The gougers will then have to choose between lowering prices or going out of business.
that would be a solution, to stop buying. however, let's not forget, the warehouses are buying ammo at what ever prices, either from the factories, or brokerage houses. they cannot nor will not sell the ammo they have at cost, and make no profit.

now, i am not for profiteering nor gouging, but it is business, that to stay in business, one must make a profit, of course, 10 times the profit they used to make is insane.

those of us that have been shooting for a while, at least before the pandemic buying spree's, we know better. but to the new gun owners who just had to have a gun all of a sudden, are the ones spending the enormous amounts of money on the ammo, and that ain't about to stop.

which, as much as none of us want gov't control, that might be the only really better way to control the rampant gouging. to put in laws/rulings, whatever, that in the event of another pandemic, all prices for everything we consume, stay at pre-pandemic prices.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Not the way it works. Most LEO depts are rationing what ammo they have left as they wait on new orders that were placed before the pandemic. For example, Home Land Security (ICE, Border Patrol, Customs) has an order in for 50 million 9mm. That's only 1,000 rounds per officer on an order of 50,000 Glocks in 9mm as they switch from 40S&W. Only a portion of that has been delivered. Police and Military first, then everyone else. And there are only 4 companies in the US that produce primers and import loaded ammo and primers are now restricted. It will be a year at best for primers to catch up.

·
Gunslinger
9,757 Posts
I bow to your better judgement. That being the case however how are some of the large internet sellers getting ammo to sell? The LGSs also seem to be getting some (albeit not much) ammo. I agree the PDs, Govt and military are buying a hell of a lot of ammo. But not paying 60 cents per round I am sure. That stuff is for dumbasses and desperate folks.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
jhg, I only shoot reloads in competition, about 12-15KK per year. So I have no idea what loaded ammo costs anymore (except I have over 3K of 127gr WINSXT +P+ for carry) but when I surf the net for ammo the big retailers show out of stock for almost everything. I suspect LGS's are just that, local ammo that has been on the shelf for years. My old partner lives in a tiny town in Idaho and he found a couple of cases of 9mm last week on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I live in Idaho, some of the stores around Couerdalane have had 9mm on the shelves here recently, at pre COVID prices. There are people on local sites trying to get 30 to 50 dollars a box for ball ammo but I don’t think much is selling since the same posts have been there for months.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,292 Posts
I bow to your better judgement. That being the case however how are some of the large internet sellers getting ammo to sell? The LGSs also seem to be getting some (albeit not much) ammo. I agree the PDs, Govt and military are buying a hell of a lot of ammo. But not paying 60 cents per round I am sure. That stuff is for dumbasses and desperate folks.
The bigger the retailer the further you are to the front of the line on choice of product. That goes for ammo, guns and accessories.
When I worked at Defender we had 2 retail stores and an internet retail site. We had our own reps from each distributor that would send us an allocation list every morning. We picked what we wanted. What we didn’t take it went to the next level retailer and so on.

·
Registered
667 Posts
well how are some LGS's getting ammo??

i got an email, from my LGS. it was a "mass mailing" to all the customers if you signed up.

how it is that they and another store or 2 or 3 get the ammo, and in LARGE quantities?

it was said in the email that these stores, put up over 1.5 MILLION dollars to the factories. for that ammo.

this particular store also get LOADS of guns on a regular basis, and one store, at my range in fact, still cannot get what they want to sell. (obviously, they cannot afford to do so, it is a rather small place)

now, this is also something that the owner of the bait and tackle store (where i get my reloaded ammo) told me as well..

so if'n you gots the money, you gets your supplies.

·
Gunslinger
9,757 Posts
Thanks but no thanks. I am neither desperate or foolish. Just bored. LOL.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts