Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know primers are hard to find. I was lamenting that fact at a tire store today, and someone told me they had some. He does not reload and has had them for a while.

I went and looked at them. They actually have a little layer of dust on them. All Winchester. Both large and small pistol.

He said, "Make me an offer."

In today's world and given the unknown age, what would be a fair price for each box of 100?
I want to strike a deal that is good for both of us.

Anyone know the shelf life on a Winchester primer?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If they are old and have been sitting around for years, I'd pay no more than $3 per hundred since they would never be completely trustworthy and I would use them for plinking and practice ammo only. I don't need them that bad, and others will probably pay more at this point in time.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
I used some of these yesterday, loading 9mm. I do not know how old they are but the price tag is $1.19 per 100. I shot some today at work and they all functioned well. I think IAhunter has a valid point on using them for practice ammo. If the packaging looks clean, no water damage, I would give them a try. I would try for $4 per one hundred which should be going price. Should be!
01A1218B-90B1-47D5-9B3B-1F9ADABA9B10.jpeg

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If they are stored and kept dry, they should pop,I would also only load them in practice ammo.
When you say Winchester I had bought 5 k of large pistol at the time period when Winchester went from the white sleeves to the blue.
I no longer have the lot numbers,2005-06 time frame but they had a few bad lots and refunded my purchase price but that didn't help with 500 rounds of 45 acp that ended up as practice ammo as aprox 10 out of every 100 failed to ignite.
That was also when I switched to Federal and am not interested in Winchester at any price but that's just me.

Reactions: RevV

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My buddy has 3000 current Federal primers listed on GB. They are currently bid up to $586. Primers are going crazy right now. Old primers 100% depend on how they were stored. They may be fine or they could be duds.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought 5 boxes of the old white box Winchester primers for $3 a piece, dusted them off and loaded up 10 9mm with the WSP primers. All 10 fired fine. I would go back and buy the rest of his old primers, but I don't want to be a pig, want to leave some for others. Never thought I'd find primers at a TIRE shop. Thanks be to God.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to load up more of the OLD white box WSP primers. Half of them had a little grayish-white crust on the shiny side.

Anyone have any thoughts about the safety of these or effects they might have?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Went to load up more of the OLD white box WSP primers. Half of them had a little grayish-white crust on the shiny side.

Anyone have any thoughts about the safety of these or effects they might have?
Most likely oxidation caused by the priming compound,lead styinate and the reaction of the nickel plated primer cups, if it were me I would load up no more than 20 rounds and watch the result closely.

My fear would be that the primers would be dead, if they were stored properly out of the heat and didn't get dampened or oil contamination due improper storage they should go pops have used primers that were 40 years old and were perfectly fine.

Reactions: RevV

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, SJ 40. I have no idea how they were stored. I got them from a tire vendor who took them on trade several years ago. They have just been sitting in a junk room in his shop.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Thank you, SJ 40. I have no idea how they were stored. I got them from a tire vendor who took them on trade several years ago. They have just been sitting in a junk room in his shop.
That would explain the oxidation on the cups, like I said load up a small amount and see if they go bang.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Loaded up 10 more of the old WSP primers. I called Winchester and was told that the primers I had obtained were at least 40 years old. 3 of the 10 I loaded up did have the crust on them. All 10 worked fine. Conclusion: If one can't find new primers, really old ones might be a viable option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts