Preping a glock frame!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Hollen, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hollen

Hollen New Member

Is their any other way to prep the frame for paint other than sandblasting?

2. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Short answer, Yes. You want to prep for both mechanical adhesion (tooth), and chemical adhesion. Depending on what coating your planning on applying, the manufacturer of that coating will have "Tech" sheets advising surface prep for different substrates. Plastics, or non metallic substrates tend to get saturated with oils, & contaminants that don't get along too well with Urethane based paint systems, prepping them can be a bit of a chore. Usually repeated washings with hot soapy water, followed by hot water rinses gets them pretty clean, a mixture of vinegar, or lemon juice in water works well if there is a lot of oil to leach out. I always avoid solvent based was & grease removers when prepping plastic parts, they tend to soak up solvents & hold onto them. I talked to a factory rep from Duracoat about a month ago, and he recommended light sanding on smooth sections with #600. I always sanded with #400, or scuffed with a red scotchbrite. But whatever coating, or paint you shoot will have it's own reommendations.

3. Hollen

Hollen New Member

Thank you very much! I just wanted to check on everything first.

I figured there was another way but always seen people talking about sand blasting. I didn't know if this was a needed to be done or not.

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Your welcome, no problem. If there is an automotive paint jobber located near where you are located, you might just stop in and say hello. Usually the guys that work in the store are also factory techs for the paint systems they sell to bodyshops. And the surface prep for plastics is pretty much the same, no matter what paint system your using. Store techs are usually pretty helpful if their not busy, not a bad way to make new friends either. Good Luck with your project.

5. Hollen

Hollen New Member

Thank you again I have a cousin that does that for a living and I didn't even think of that. Lol