Preferred martial art

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BLCKWLF, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

What is your preferred martial art? Krav, karate, boxing, MMA, wrestling... Etc... And why?

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

dog bIt u and glock shoot yu. after that I like the hybrid MMA styles. :)

3. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Aikido. Great in prisons. Never heard of an inmate winning a law suit after getting his butt whopped and suing. And a few have tried.

If I was a young man though, I believe I would have expanded to Krav Maga. Lots of CDQ in prison occurs in real tight spaces and I think Krav, from what I've seen along with Aikido is a perfect jailhouse combo.

Also, when union meetings and booze get a little hot, Aikido seems to leave less hard feelings afterwards. Afterall, Aikido can make you look pretty foolish when it's used. And afterwards, you're not going home to wifey and the kids all busted up.:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Always thought Jiu-jitsu would be the best to learn.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

A friend of mine, retired correctional officer, threw a computer monitor at an inmate that was attacking him, he was the only guard there at the time. The inmate sued, union did squat, as expected, and he "resigned".

6. Kmurray96

"Oh! I am with the angels! But don't think, not for a second, that I am one of them!" -Sherlock

I think that guy Sherlock didn't know about St. Michael, the Archangel (patron saint of cops) and his background, huh?

7. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Gun fighting.

8. Krav Maga. Eliminate the threat by any means, survive at all costs.

No need to be young. I got a friend into it at 42 when he was pushing 300 pounds, he is now 46 and down to about 190 and probably close to as proficient as I am.

My grandfather is pushing 80, still goes every week!

9. gnihcraes

gnihcraes New Member

Aikido / Taekwondo (Karate) / Gun Fighting EvilD says.

Krav looks great, if you absolutely want to just kill someone. LOL.

10. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

That is super cool!!! Young old and in between... It's always a good time to start to learn!!

11. Angry_Dave

Angry_Dave is being censored

Ive been involved in gracie barra brazilian jiu jitsu, I strongly recommend everyone to try at least a few classes. It really is eye opening what they can teach you in a few short weeks and anyone that's been in enough fights knows it is almost always gonna end up on he ground.

12. ModernMusashi

ModernMusashi New Member

I think the best style is the one you create. I've been doing martial arts for 25 years and got a background in about 10 different arts. I take what I like and move on. This does take along time to do but worth it.

I like BBJ and took it for 2 years, the issue I have is most fights might go to the ground but that's not were you want to be. I have never had to fight from the ground cuz I have trained to stay on me feet. Besides self defense situation you go to the ground with a guy and 3 of his buddys see it ( cowards are always in packs) your getting your head stomped. Like I said, I like it but its not the end all some say it is.

13. I agree. Thats why I like KM because its a culmination of some new stuff mixed with the best parts of many other systems.

14. ModernMusashi

ModernMusashi New Member

Yeah, and don't get me wrong I really like BJJ and am glad I know it but not all styles fit all people. I did TKD for along time and got my 2nd degree in it. I thought I was unbeatable ( I was a teenager) till a BJJ guy proved me wrong. That's when I started learning how to defend against it. Now I teach Kenpo. But my style that I fight with I dont teach cuz its my style and wouldn't work for everyone.

KM is a pretty sick style, and is on my wish list. UFC is interesting to watch but I agree its far from ultimate. They call it MMA but if you watch it they are all fighting the same way same strikes same takedowns,. It has become its own single style. And I think faced with something like Krav Maga or something combat based it wouldn't hold up well.

15. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Kalsadapo Karate and Aikido. I don't care for point systems like TKD, but that's preference. Krav Maga is interesting and I wouldn't mind watching a class or two, but I like what I have and it seems to work, so I'm happy.

16. Ogre

Ogre New Member

Took Aikido here. I always enjoyed torturing people. :D

17. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

BJJ and Muay Thai

18. Kmurray96

Yep! Been in a bunch of jailhouse fights over the years, but I've never punched an inmate yet.

But the core sadist in me just loves Aikido.

19. Isn't that what the nightstick is for? So you don't have to punch an inmate and risk injury to yourself?! Thwump, thwump!!

20. Ogre

Ogre New Member

Always fascinated me seeing a twisted limb settle certain people down. :) Thankyou, Tetsushinkan Dojo