Practicing Defensive Tactics

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by taperguy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. taperguy

taperguy New Member

Do you practice defensive tactics and if so how do you train? Defensive tactics are about staying alive and having the edge to come out on top if **** goes down. I have used IDPA mostly as my training grounds for the past couple of years but I have learned that there are bad habits that can be picked up with the game. I'm looking to grow in my defensive skills. How about you? What are you doing to improve?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

My training...

Krav Maga...

It is the official hand-to-hand combat system of the Israeli Defense Forces. It’s also the preferred system for U.S. Military and Law Enforcement personnel. Krav Maga is not a traditional martial art.. No katas... No rituals.

Based on simple principles and instinctive movements, it's a reality-based system designed to teach real self defense in the shortest possible time. You learn to defend against common chokes, grabs, and bearhugs, as well as weapons such as guns, knives, and sticks. Just as important, you are taught to function during the stress and shock of a sudden, violent encounter.

Street tested...Uncle Sam approved !!

Also had some private instruction on weapon retention...

3. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Where do you sign up for that at? I am interested!!!

4. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

I practice drawing from my holster and picking up the sight picture fast, that's about it other then shooting in competitions to help increase the stress and awkwardness.

5. vindicated

vindicated ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've been toying with the idea of taking some tactical pistol courses. I think the main thing is to overcome stress. Muscle memory obtained from consistently drawing and pointing you weapon will give you that. As Ryan said, obtaining your sight picture is super important. They give you those tools in these classes. They are just so darn expensive!

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

You got to sign up with Uncle Sam for a 33 year hitch... :cool:

7. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Lmao oh.... Ok

8. las4wo

las4wo New Member

I recommend krav maga! I was taught this DT prior to being a CO

9. Do a search on yellow pages for Krav Maga... There are more and more schools available now a days...

I don't personally practice it but it is amazing!

10. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

Never heard of it but I think its something to look into for my and my girls. Wow you guys really have me thinking thanks for info. :0/

11. glockrocker

glockrocker New Member

Krav Maga is a great system. I practiced it when I was stationed at Ft Bragg NC. Based on natural reaction and takes into consideration that your fine motor skills will be limited when attacked. All actions just require gross motor skills. Because of that the system is easy to master in just a few weeks, unlike other systems with small movements that will take months to master, maybe even years. The Israelis knew what they were doing when developing a self defense system for their population.

12. acarson529c

acarson529c New Member

I just started doing some after getting some solid training. In addition to working on controlled pairs to the thoracic cavity, I like to run tactical reloads and after action drills. Also practice clearing low and high brass malfunctions etc.. Last thing you want to be doing at 2 am while in the middle of a gun fight with some meth addicted tweaker is struggle with a malfunction.

13. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

You can go through these vids and it'll help you familiarize yourself with Krav Maga: [ame]http://youtu.be/3JgKTZ6eVOA[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

Also, here's some specialized training for high stress scenario's:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OWb8Uq6RZM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  15. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

That looks like something Id like to get into!

16. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Matt. I've been thinking about doing some kind of physical training for awhile now and this is one of the options I was considering. There is a facility close to our range range that offers a free lesson. I think I will call them and schedule an appointment. :)

17. Where are you located? I know hundreds of great Krav guys.

I second Krav, with a supplement in BJJ. For CQB I suggest Some targets, life size (cut plywood works) both fair game and protected, in a garage, outdoor with parititons, etc using paintball guns. The possibilities are endless.