Practice drill for those with kids

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by EvilD, Jun 19, 2012.

1. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Was at the range today doing the usual and a thought popped into my head; I usually have my 5 year old with me when I am out and about, so i came up with a practice scenario, first objective when badness happens is to make sure he is safe, so I came up wit this drill: starting at 7 yards (would start closer but thats the closest my range allows) with holding a child's hand in weak hand ( I used the brass bucket, weighed about 10 lbs) I drew and fired while keeping the bucket behind me walking back wards as fast as I could while protecting the bucket with my body while emptying my gun into the target. I need to work a reload into it, but I think its a pretty good drill. I usually practice moving but pretty much never with just one hand.

2. EvilD

EvilD New Member

poor wording on my part, I dont walk backward, more of my body angled.

3. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

This looks like a good drill.

4. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Now I'm confused. Walking backward makes sense: you keep yourself between your child/bucket and your target. While facing and firing at your target, you step backward away from the target.

But if you say you don't walk backward then you (your hips) must be facing your child/bucket and away from target (ie, your backside faces the target). In order to fire at target, your torso is twisted somewhat ("more of my body angled"). You would then be walking forward, away from target?

Just trying to get a mental image of the movement.

5. EvilD

EvilD New Member

i guess side stepping would be a better term

6. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Next time I get to the range, I'll have to try this. Real world scenarios are a far cry from standing at a line and punching holes in paper. This should open my eyes to a few things I hadn't considered before. I'll let you know how it works for me.

7. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

I really like this drill and training on it would be good and get me thinking. That is a great idea thanks for posting it.