Powder Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by jwilli22, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

I finally got off the fence and got a Dillion XL650 this week. Setup went fairly easy, and I cranked out 100 rounds of 9mm and took them to the range today. All went well and tomorrow I am going to set up for 45.

My local gun dealer recommended Hodgdon Titegroup and so that is what I started with, and as I have said all was good with the rounds today. I have read from guys reloading for sometime that they feel there are better powders for Handgun calibers. Does anyone have any opinions?

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I have used Accurate no7 several times. (also no5) I have had good results with thier powders for 9mm. However, that is not a round I reload that often. I use no9 exclusively for 10mm and 357 due to excellent case fill. So that is the powder I am most familiar with. I am sure others have powders they prefer as well.

3. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Thanks Accurate 05 was one I had thought about trying. Does it all boil down to preference for the most part?

4. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

For me I tried no 7 because the guy that taught me suggested it. I tried a few other and found my gun was cleaner and I liked the way it shot with that particular powder. I am no expert but that is just my experience.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

As a matter of preference, I use Accurate #2 for most of my 9mm loads.

Description from the Accurate website:
    It has a faster burning rate than either Accurate #5 or #7, and its burn rate is on par with Red Dot and TiteGroup (but burns cleaner than TiteGroup and meters better than Red Dot).

A faster burn rate is desired for short barreled pistols (such as my G26 and a bunch of other guns), to allow the load to develop the highest pressure possible with the
    provided powder charge.

With a chrony, load up about 5 rounds each of varying powder charges, and test muzzle velocities before making an entire batch of rounds. Time consuming, yes, but it negates the possibility of making the entire batch either too weak a charge or too powerful a charge. Note that muzzle velocities in most load data charts use a 4" or 5" barrel for the test loads, so an identical load will register a lower velocity in a shorter barrel.

If loading for heavier bullets (say, 124 gr or 147 gr) in 9mm, I use Accurate #5.

Hope that helps.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, as a side note, Accurate #2 is thermally sensitive: at ambient temperatures of about 90-100*F, the charges deliver slightly higher chamber pressures (and higher velocities), and at ambient temps of around 0-20*F the charges deliver significantly lower chamber pressures.

7. jwilli22

jwilli22 New Member

Thanks Happy, good information as always. Hope to post some pics and range reports soon.

8. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I like W231 and unique for 9 mm, Bullseye and Unique for 45, Power Pistol is not a nice 9mm powder, very lound and "barky", haven't tried it in 45 yet but friends use it and like it.

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

If you don't mind scorched brass, Hodgdon HS-6 is another excellent powder for 9mm loads (and .40S&W), but I do not use it when I am loading plated bullets. At night, the muzzle flash is awesome, but it does dirty up the brass.

10. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

How about for 5.56mm/.223 AR reloads? Would anything interchange with 9mm reload components ?

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Best powder I have ever used for .223/5.56 is Accurate 2230 (made specifically for .223/5.56) or 2015.

Most accurate powder I have ever used for this caliber is Hodgdon Varget, but this is a cylindrical powder and does not meter well, but loads are VERY consistent with a very nice thermal insensitivity (ambient temperatures do not affect it).

My personal preference.

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, and I buy 2230 and 2015 by the 8-pound jug, usually several jugs at a time. :D

13. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Thanks, HS1 going to a gun show tomorrow just wanted some brand names to check out.

14. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I use varget for 223 also.

15. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I used H335 for 223 and 30.06, excellent results in both. Happy, is Accurate 2230 a ball powder, does it meter well?

16. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Ok now I have another ???? When you say "ball" or "cylindrical" is that the actual shape of the grains of powder?

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@EvilD:

2230 is a spherical powder that meters rather well (similar to Accurate #2, but with slightly larger grains). Quoted from Accurate's website:

@G17XJ_BS:

Yes, that refers to the actual physical shape of the powder grains, which may be ball (or spherical), cylindical (or extruded), or flat disc (flake).

If you think that's confusing, your head could really start spinning when you try to understand single-base vs double-base, and so on...

Cheers!

18. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Thanks, im learning alot real slow!!!

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Make no mistake my friend, slow is the way to go when learning about something that can blow up your rifle or handgun in a split-second.

I and others will be happy to answer any questions ya got and share what we know and our opinions.

Cheers!

20. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Thats kinda what I was thinking, thanks again!!