Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got off the fence and got a Dillion XL650 this week. Setup went fairly easy, and I cranked out 100 rounds of 9mm and took them to the range today. All went well and tomorrow I am going to set up for 45.

My local gun dealer recommended Hodgdon Titegroup and so that is what I started with, and as I have said all was good with the rounds today. I have read from guys reloading for sometime that they feel there are better powders for Handgun calibers. Does anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have used Accurate no7 several times. (also no5) I have had good results with thier powders for 9mm. However, that is not a round I reload that often. I use no9 exclusively for 10mm and 357 due to excellent case fill. So that is the powder I am most familiar with. I am sure others have powders they prefer as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
For me I tried no 7 because the guy that taught me suggested it. I tried a few other and found my gun was cleaner and I liked the way it shot with that particular powder. I am no expert but that is just my experience.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
As a matter of preference, I use Accurate #2 for most of my 9mm loads.

Description from the Accurate website:
Accurate No. 2 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, spherical handgun powder suitable for use in a wide range of handgun calibers. Low recoil and low flash make No. 2 well suited for use in short barrel, concealed carry applications. No. 2 is a non-position sensitive powder and low charge weights make it an economical and versatile choice for high volume handgun shooters.
It has a faster burning rate than either Accurate #5 or #7, and its burn rate is on par with Red Dot and TiteGroup (but burns cleaner than TiteGroup and meters better than Red Dot).

A faster burn rate is desired for short barreled pistols (such as my G26 and a bunch of other guns), to allow the load to develop the highest pressure possible with the
provided powder charge.

With a chrony, load up about 5 rounds each of varying powder charges, and test muzzle velocities before making an entire batch of rounds. Time consuming, yes, but it negates the possibility of making the entire batch either too weak a charge or too powerful a charge. Note that muzzle velocities in most load data charts use a 4" or 5" barrel for the test loads, so an identical load will register a lower velocity in a shorter barrel.

If loading for heavier bullets (say, 124 gr or 147 gr) in 9mm, I use Accurate #5.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Oh, as a side note, Accurate #2 is thermally sensitive: at ambient temperatures of about 90-100*F, the charges deliver slightly higher chamber pressures (and higher velocities), and at ambient temps of around 0-20*F the charges deliver significantly lower chamber pressures.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I like W231 and unique for 9 mm, Bullseye and Unique for 45, Power Pistol is not a nice 9mm powder, very lound and "barky", haven't tried it in 45 yet but friends use it and like it.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
If you don't mind scorched brass, Hodgdon HS-6 is another excellent powder for 9mm loads (and .40S&W), but I do not use it when I am loading plated bullets. At night, the muzzle flash is awesome, but it does dirty up the brass.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Best powder I have ever used for .223/5.56 is Accurate 2230 (made specifically for .223/5.56) or 2015.

Most accurate powder I have ever used for this caliber is Hodgdon Varget, but this is a cylindrical powder and does not meter well, but loads are VERY consistent with a very nice thermal insensitivity (ambient temperatures do not affect it).

My personal preference.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
@EvilD:

2230 is a spherical powder that meters rather well (similar to Accurate #2, but with slightly larger grains). Quoted from Accurate's website:
Accurate 2230 is a fast burning, double-base, spherical rifle propellant. This versatile powder was designed around the 223 Remington, but can be used in many small and medium caliber cartridges including the 308 Winchester. 2230 also works well in big bore straight wall cartridges such as the 458 Winchester. The excellent flow characteristics and grain size of 2230 make it ideal for progressive loading. Made in Belgium.

@G17XJ_BS:

Yes, that refers to the actual physical shape of the powder grains, which may be ball (or spherical), cylindical (or extruded), or flat disc (flake).

If you think that's confusing, your head could really start spinning when you try to understand single-base vs double-base, and so on...

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.