Potential problem with new acquired Glock 43?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by benzill, May 15, 2018.

1. benzill

benzill New Member

Hi members of the glockforum! :)

Just signed up because I need a quick opinion... Your answers are highly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I just bought a Glock 43 and received it today (I already own a G19 Gen. 4 since a few years, so not the first Glock). As usual with a new gun, I field-stripped and cleaned it.

I found the finish of the steel guide-rails peeling off... How can that be? Is that normal or do I have bought a "lemon"? Picture posted.

Thank you very much for you help!

Greetings from Switzerland
    benzill

Finish G43.jpg

Prayer Warrior likes this.
  2. Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior Peace & Grace Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum. I’ve not seen that on mine.

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum

PAGlock19 likes this.
  4. benzill

benzill New Member

Thanks guys! :) Ok, I also wrote an e-mail to glock austria and adressed the problem. I keep you posted!

Greetings
    benzill

Prayer Warrior likes this.
  5. Prayer Warrior

Please keep us posted.

6. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Hi, benzill!

Welcome to the forum!

That's the locking block... which is a metal injection molded (MIM) part (http://www.mimwork.com/resources/How-does-MIM-work.html).

To the best of my knowledge, after sintering, these parts typically have a binder/oxide 'skin' that's removed before it's used in assembly. My guess is that this part 'missed' a cleaning process after being sintered and that 'skin' is flaking off.

If that's true, in my opinion, it shouldn't be an issue. However, I could be wrong.

Please do keep us informed. I'm most interested Glock's response.

Best regards,

Bob

L-2 and Prayer Warrior like this.
  7. Prayer Warrior

Thanks Bob, you are a wealth of knowledge.

rbbeers likes this.
  8. benzill

benzill New Member

Second that :) Exactly, the locking block. Sorry, English is not my mother tongue as you maybe guessed already. Sounds pretty interesting - I'm also looking forward to Glock's response.

lawyer69, rbbeers and Prayer Warrior like this.
  9. oak96

oak96 Member

Didn’t have that issue with mine. I did realize that on my 43 the mag doesn’t release as easily as my 17. My LGS told me that is common on the 43.

Glock7421 and Prayer Warrior like this.
  10. Prayer Warrior

Your English is good enough for the Glock Forum. Thank you for your continued contribution.

Glock7421, benzill and rbbeers like this.
  11. rbbeers

H'mmm... the more I look at the picture and the more research I do, the more it looks like a passivation layer or coating flaking off the base metal.

I am indeed interested in Glock's response.

Best regards,

Bob

Glock7421 and Prayer Warrior like this.
  12. rbbeers

Hi, benzill!

The forward part of My G17.5 locking block is pictured below. As may be noted, the upper surface of the 'tips' of the rails have been 'polished'. That is, the patina... or skin... or whatever it is... has been worn away.

Locking block wear.jpg

During the slide cycle, as the rear of the barrel locking lug strikes the 'ramp' of the locking block (which pushes the locking lug 'down', tilting the barrel, so the slide may continue its cycle), the forward ends of the locking block rails 'tilt up' and strike the slide (pictured below).

Locking block wear on the slide.jpg

While it doesn't exhibit the 'flake' that seems to be in your picture, the appearance of my locking block looks very similar to yours. (I've cleaned my pistol several times since I bought it... so it could have 'flaked' and I simply didn't pay any attention and cleaned the flakes off.)

As shown in the following video, the slide cycle is rather violent... the frame flexes and 'things' bang around quite a bit (which is why the locking block 'smacks' the slide).

My guess continues to be that what you've observed is a non-issue... but we'll see what Glock says. I've been wrong before... and will be again.

Enjoy the video!

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    Glock7421, Prayer Warrior and L-2 like this.
  13. Prayer Warrior

14. benzill

benzill New Member

Hi Bob, thanks for your informative post again! :)

Guys: Glock responded. They wrote that it is not an issue (only optical character) and that the gun can be used without doubts.

So I think Bob's "MIM-Theory" is absolutely right and the way better answer as I received from Glock :)

Thank you very much for your help!

Greetings from Switzerland
    Benzill

15. Prayer Warrior

Bob normally has the best answers.

rbbeers likes this.
  16. I have to adjust my grip to insure my hand is clear of the mag and they drop like dead flys. See if that helps you.