Potential legal issues with being overpowered?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Defendandprotect32, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Defendandprotect32

Defendandprotect32 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    I carried my g29 for a couple days last week for the first time,and the thought did cross my mind,if I had to use it,would or could a overzealous states attorney likely paint me as someone that strapped on a 10mm who left the house with such a powerful gun with the express purpose of finding someone to shoot,ala Charles bronson.and then throw in the hot jhp defense rounds I carry.a few pics of the bad guys wounds,I could see a jury gasping now.this is a thought a ccl holder might be more likely to question in this gun hating city,county,and state I reside in.what do you think,is there any validly to these thoughts?

2. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

No telling what a lawyer will do. (Know the difference between a lawyer and a lab rat? There are some things that a lab rat won't do for a food pellet.)

That said, pretty sure Bronson actually used a .32 revolver and a wad of coins in a sock in the original Death Wish.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Well a 10mm ain’t got anything on an AR-15,
    "If the high-impact, high-velocity round, when it hits your body, shreds everything inside of your body because it was designed to do that so that you would bleed to death on a battlefield" Beto O'Rourke said.

4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    1D505A1B-0FB6-4BC8-A12C-11951A2950A1.jpeg
    Except when Wildey came to town.

jhg likes this.
  5. Peepaw

Peepaw Well-Known Member

You have good reason to shoot or you don't. That's about all that will matter.
    I have never heard of a case where the caliber of the weapon made any difference at all.

jhg, Silver-Bolt and Southlake like this.
  6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless your 10mm goes through bad guy & hits innocent. That’s whole other topic, that could happen with a lot of calibers.

jhg likes this.
  7. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Deadly force is deadly force. Someone can be just as dead from a .22. Over penetration and wounding or killing an innocent is another story.

jhg and Lucian_253 like this.
  8. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

Of course all of that can happen, but if you fear for your life or the life of a loved one, what other option do you have ?

You can bet that there will be problems for you if you ever shoot anyone. How bad they are all depends on the circumstances, witnesses, videos, etc.

Good luck.

Lucian_253 likes this.
  9. jhg

jhg Gunslinger Supporter

Who can doubt Beto? :rolleyes:

Toni77, Danzig and Southlake like this.
  10. Deneen

Deneen Member

One of my EDC is a G20 with Critical duty ammo. We have the right to legally carry and protect ourselves and others. I never gave it a thought about my caliber is too large? Always remember, 9mm is for paper targets. .40 s&w and above is for self defense. Be proud to carry that 10mm!

11. FredWyn

FredWyn Well-Known Member Supporter

"Overpowered"? A handgun round is a handgun round. Show me any case where somebody was convicted because they used a 10mm handgun instead of a 9mm.

Caliber is way overrated.

Speed without sacrificing accuracy...that's what counts.

jhg likes this.