Polymer use in an AR frame?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by nyycanseco33, May 14, 2012.

1. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Well-Known Member Supporter

It's been proven that polymers can withstand heat and impact to make reliable weapons like Glock and others... Now I have been thinking about something recently that could change the future design of long guns, specifically the AR type platform... The AR lowers are made of a steel or high grade aluminum (depending on manufacturer), but why couldn't it be made with a high grade polymer similar to what the Glock frame is made of? Imagine the weight loss without sacrificing the durability and dependability!

Just some ideas to think about and discuss here cause I'm honestly curious about this... I do hope glocknloaded and Happysniper1 comment on this along with our many other members who are familiar with the AR system, building, and functions...

Also hope that our polymer experts comment also, could be something to develop and patent, an actual Glock Forum production piece maybe?! :)

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The are out there, including the LPK, let me find a link

3. nfmus209

nfmus209 New Member

New frontier has polymer lowers, and you can get a full lower for the same price as a stripped lower from spikes. Just not my cup of tea, but thats my personal opinion.

4. nyycanseco33

Thank you to bhale187 and nfmus209, will def check these out, I wasn't aware they had made this available because I have commonly seen the hard metal version instead :)

5. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I've heard pretty good things on the polymer lowers but haven't had the chance to see one in person yet. I really want to take one for a spin though...

6. nyycanseco33

Are the prices for the polymer lowers cheaper or more expensive than the standard metal lowers?

7. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I have a Plum Crazy lower (cost me $130.00 inc tax). It is somplete polymer lower with internals/stock/grip/etc and just like the New Frontier Armory lowers. There is nothing wrong with them! They actually have pretty sweet feeling triggers. Even the hammer and some of the internals are polymer as well. Right now, it is sitting under a Plametto State Armory lower. The only people that are knocking them are the ones that haven't tried them. I did know of one polymer lower that split (found the article online), it was sent back and replaced because they have lifetime warranty just like Glocks!

8. nyycanseco33

Thanks I'll def consider this, been gathering items for an AR build that I want to try on my own, just need a lower and an upper, I have the rest of the items either at my house or at a friends house that he didn't use on his build so I'm all set :)

9. jln370

jln370 Member

TX
    I have a Plum Crazy lower. Paid $125 for it. The trigger is awesome on it. Only thing I had to change on it was the mag catch. The plastic one would flex sometimes and not lock the mag into place, so I put a metal one in it, works fine now. One thing I don't like about mine is the fact that the safety can be on without the hammer being cocked. This could potentially be a problem. One might think their rifle is ready to rock and its not.

10. shoognite

shoognite New Member

I have two Cav-arms lowers that I used for ultra light weight ARs. Not the cheapest, but super light.

[​IMG]