Glock Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new glock that I had cerakoted by the dealer. It's a new gen 3 model 23. I noticed that the rear two slide rails where polymer instead of metal. Is this a new change? The Glock expert at my local dealer was surprised by this too. As soon as my 10 day wait period is up i"ll post a picture.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
dimitri said:
I just bought a new glock that I had cerakoted by the dealer. It's a new gen 3 model 23. I noticed that the rear two slide rails where polymer instead of metal. Is this a new change? The Glock expert at my local dealer was surprised by this too. As soon as my 10 day wait period is up i"ll post a picture.
What? Post a pic please.

Edit: ok...whoops didn't read your last sentence. There is no way the rails are polymer. You sure its not paint?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cerakote looks really good! Can't wait to see your pic. My AR is in the process of Cerakote (Pink and Black). It should be out tomorrow but I won't pick up till next Friday.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the forum dimitri! Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Congratulations on that new Glock and welcome to the Forum! Can't wait to see pics. Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
I know the Ruger P95 that I use to have ran the stainless slide on the poly frame without any metal inserts and it seemed to work ok. Don't think Glock would change their design that much though, I'm sure it's just something on the metal slide rail inserts that's making it look like plastic. Can't wait for pics though. Congrats on the new Glock, it's always nice to get one more. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cerakote looks really good! Can't wait to see your pic. My AR is in the process of Cerakote (Pink and Black). It should be out tomorrow but I won't pick up till next Friday.
Pink and black sounds pretty rad. I got my glock done with a fde slide and a mil spec green frame.

Welcome to the forum dimitri! Enjoy!
Thanks! glad to be here!

Congratulations on that new Glock and welcome to the Forum! Can't wait to see pics. Enjoy!
Thanks for the welcome

I know the Ruger P95 that I use to have ran the stainless slide on the poly frame without any metal inserts and it seemed to work ok. Don't think Glock would change their design that much though, I'm sure it's just something on the metal slide rail inserts that's making it look like plastic. Can't wait for pics though. Congrats on the new Glock, it's always nice to get one more. ;)
Thats kinda what intrigued me too. If it was a gen 4 glock my mind would be more open to the idea of a change like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What? Post a pic please.

Edit: ok...whoops didn't read your last sentence. There is no way the rails are polymer. You sure its not paint?
I thought it could've been the paint at first. After I tapped it with my fingernail a few times it felt and looked more like polymer than metal. I only had a few seconds to look at it so I could be completely off.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
You were most likely tapping on the finish or the pieces of plastic next to the rails.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
The Gen 4 G26 that I bought in January of 2010 had the steel inserts in the front and back of the frame, just like they've always built em'. Don't see why Glock would change up something that radically. I'm pretty sure they're not plastic. Still, we'd all love to see pics when you get the gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were most likely tapping on the finish or the pieces of plastic next to the rails.
I'm fairly certain that I was not. The slide rails are quite noticeable. I don't think that both i and the glock expert I was talking to woild both make that mistake.

Do you know if the slide rails can be removed? Perhaps they were removed when they applied the cerakote and never put back on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like a factory flaw to me.

Is there no metal frame rails at all?

Or is there just polymer on the metal rails?
That could have just been a flaw during the molding process!

But I'm no expert!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The slide rails cannot be removed without damaging the frame. The steel inserts are molded into the plastic when the frame is formed. I have seen some where there was excess plastic that partially hid the steel. It didn't stay that way for long.

Reactions: moshpit817

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The slide rails cannot be removed without damaging the frame. The steel inserts are molded into the plastic when the frame is formed. I have seen some where there was excess plastic that partially hid the steel. It didn't stay that way for long.
This explanation seems right to me. I noticed some excess polymer around that area. Kind of like the little flakes that you see on cheap plastic toys unfortunately.

·
Registered
274 Posts
jonm61 said:
That's what I was getting at lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Put a good magnet up to the slide rail on the frame and it should stick. The rails are metal. I had the same worry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.