Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching this site for over an hour and the internet in regards to engineering tolerances and the difference between the OEM Glock and the Polymer 80.

I am entertaining building one of these, but think I will wait until Polymer 80 releases their " complete frame " as opposed to the 80% frame. That being said are these the exact engineering tolerances as an OEM Glock? My mistake if this is a repost, I was not able to find engineering tolerances anywhere.. Thank you

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I seriously doubt you will find the actual Glock tolerances published anywhere. That would be proprietary information that they would not want released to the public.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can offer that as an 80% finish (required in order for the frame to not be ruled a gun as a complete frame would require a serial number and so is defined as a firearm); you CAN fit it very tightly with minimum tolerance. Since the trigger assembly is all Glock there isn't a tolerance issue there per-se. So the only tolerance the builder need focus on is the slide fit which with care by going slow can be fitted quite well using the slide itself as the "template".

I should add that unless the rule language was changed recently GSSF says for the unlimited category "No after market metallic frames". But GSSF says the match is Glock only and since the P-80 has no frame GLOCK serial, a P-80 build is no longer a Glock, and so cannot be used.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been searching this site for over an hour and the internet in regards to engineering tolerances and the difference between the OEM Glock and the Polymer 80.

I am entertaining building one of these, but think I will wait until Polymer 80 releases their " complete frame " as opposed to the 80% frame. That being said are these the exact engineering tolerances as an OEM Glock? My mistake if this is a repost, I was not able to find engineering tolerances anywhere.. Thank you
Not sure if I’m reading this right so if my reply is way out there sorry lol, but if youre wondering the tolerance between like the slide and frame or rails..? If so I’d say it’s a litter tighter than a factory Glock im sure it’ll loosen up as I put more rounds through it. Again sorry if I completely mis-read the OP.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Glock engineering is solely proprietary, like all manufacturing companies. What ever this Polymer 80 after market thing is? It's not a gun, it's just a piece of plastic made from dimensions taken from a Glock frame using CMM and 3D scanning. If you decide to build a gun out of it, and it doesn't run, it's not a Glock problem. The whole thing doesn't even make sense when you can buy a brand new Glock frame for $75 (Glock store). Course it has to be registered just like a real gun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glock engineering is solely proprietary, like all manufacturing companies. What ever this Polymer 80 after market thing is? It's not a gun, it's just a piece of plastic made from dimensions taken from a Glock frame using CMM and 3D scanning. If you decide to build a gun out of it, and it doesn't run, it's not a Glock problem. The whole thing doesn't even make sense when you can buy a brand new Glock frame for $75 (Glock store). Course it has to be registered just like a real gun.
Yeah you're right, I will hold with the P80 build.. Sometimes you can undermine the severity of liability when innovative products come out, only to find out it is likely subpar to OEM, but at the end of the day god forbid there is some type of malfunction that causes you or others harm then you would be responsible, in my opinion that is risk I would not like to entertain

·
Registered
Fox Pepper Spray and....................
614 Posts
Registered like a real gun?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Registered like a real gun?
Isn't that funny? A "real gun." Glock frames are polymer, polymer is plastic so that one poster's argument is sea, just as he would be if shot with a Polymer 80 build. I never bought into the "Glock Perfection" nonsense that requires OEM everything and no mods because Gaston didn't build it that way.
The Polymer 80s I've built function flawlessly, I know them inside and out, and I wouldn't hesitate to grab ANY of them for a SD situation.

·
Remove me..Security sucks.
2,472 Posts
I inspect aircraft engine components for a living, so my life is in .0001", and have also built two P80's, the 19 clone and the 17 slide/19 grip model. These use Glock OEM slides, Glock triggers and a metal insert, plastic jig and 3 pin assembly. My two have taken a bit to loosen up, had some extra filing to do on the second build, but as of yesterday I have complete faith in them on NATO fmj and +p HP. Leaving my Gen 4 19 home today in favor of the clone, and the 17/19 has a big honkin' light on it and is my bedside pistol. I don't think tolerances are compromised between a P80 and a Glock, cripe, they're injection molded plastic and stamped sheet metal, not precision ground or milled billet or forged steel, and Glocks are reliable in part because they are loose.

·
2,472 Posts
Just dawned on me...one area where "glocks fits matter" is in the barrel. That is machined, and I found an aftermarket Shadow arms barrel did lock up tighter in my G19, but was too tight in my clone. I ended up stoning the sides of the barrel and put it in the glock, and the oem glock barrel into the p80. I may swap them again now that the p80 is broken in, just to see what happens. I'm kind of a.d.d. that way.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
The only part that matters on a Glock is the barrel to slide lockup. The slide to frame rails means nothing.

·
2,472 Posts
I like the fact they're not on file. I do like the grip angle. It's good to assemble a slide or two to understand how a glock works. Part of the fun for me is modifying things. As for price, my first build was more expensive, G19, second build is the 17 slide/19 grip, just got 2 more kits, a 26 from jsdsupply for $408 delivered, and a ceracoted 2 tone bronze from ltacticalsupply, G21, for $550. Slides assembled. ltacticalsupply.com lets you choose any color you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the fact they're not on file. I do like the grip angle. It's good to assemble a slide or two to understand how a glock works. Part of the fun for me is modifying things. As for price, my first build was more expensive, G19, second build is the 17 slide/19 grip, just got 2 more kits, a 26 from jsdsupply for $408 delivered, and a ceracoted 2 tone bronze from ltacticalsupply, G21, for $550. Slides assembled. ltacticalsupply.com lets you choose any color you want.
Hey i was reading on an older post that you had replied on that you ordered some stuff from ltacticalsupply.com, i was wondering if you actually recieved your order or not because when i google reviews about that particular business it comes back with literally hundreds of reviews about everyone getting their money taken with no products ever being delivered.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts