Glock Firearms banner

Do you train with dry fire?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, let's start a convo. How many of you use dry fire to practice? If so, how much? If not, why? Give examples of how it helps. Tbh, I don't know any professional shooter that doesn't dry fire, so this is mainly to provoke those who don't to start, and for those who try a little, to really train in this way.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Well, the only professional shooters I know, personally, are Rob Leatham and Jerry Miculek. They dry fire the shiette outta their guns, but they don't run Glocks. You dry fire a Glock thousands of times, and it will blow out the breech face because their is nothing to absorb the energy of the firing pin, even though it only moves less than .090" with a 5lb force. So if you choose to dry fire a Glock, be sure to run Snap Caps and replace those every few thousand.

Seen this many times with USPSA shooters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, the only professional shooters I know, personally, are Rob Leatham and Jerry Miculek. They dry fire the shiette outta their guns, but they don't run Glocks. You dry fire a Glock thousands of times, and it will blow out the breech face because their is nothing to absorb the energy of the firing pin, even though it only moves less than .090" with a 5lb force. So if you choose to dry fire a Glock, be sure to run Snap Caps and replace those every few thousand.

Good to know! Will order some dummy rounds.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Dang, never heard / saw that before. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Used to dry fire with the laser bullets. Now not as much but always either use the above mentioned or dummy rounds. The laser bullets are great for accessing initial shot placements and in defensive shooting where you just point and shoot. Zero benefit on follow up shots where muzzle movement has to be controlled.

Will say dry fire for me reduces the time I spend at the range. Especially the laser bullets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lenny magill, runs glock store, dry fires his glock consistently. The gen 4s won't have a problem dry firing. Older glocks can have some issues I've heard. I won't buy anything but gen 4s.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
From Glock FAQ...

Can I dry fire my Glock pistol?

It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Lenny magill, runs glock store, dry fires his glock consistently. The gen 4s won't have a problem dry firing. Older glocks can have some issues I've heard. I won't buy anything but gen 4s.
Well, Lenny may dry fire all the time, but he can't shoot for shiette. He came in 118 out of 124 at the last USPSA match.... Just saying. Gen 4s are not immune. There is still nothing to absorb the energy without spring loaded snap caps. The only time I dry fire is to show clear and empty after a stage, nothing more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Lenny may dry fire all the time, but he can't shoot for shiette. He came in 118 out of 124 at the last USPSA match.... Just saying. Gen 4s are not immune. There is still nothing to absorb the energy without spring loaded snap caps. The only time I dry fire is to show clear and empty after a stage, nothing more.
He doesn't need to shoot perfectly to know what glocks can take, besides, he was just one example. I've a number of vets and swat/LEOs who dry fire their glocks religiously and tell me you don't need snap caps.

Competition shooting is not the end all determiner of knowledge and preparation, btw. Not the point of this thread, so I won't get into it.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Round, you'll never know if you don't shoot competition, which I know you don't and never have. But, like Lenny is only one example, so am I, out of tens of thousands of competition shooters, and after 400,000 rounds since 1992 thru various Glocks. How about you? Competition shooting is only the pure mechanics of shooting fast and accurately, not tactics or training. So just show up at your nearest competition match, stand up in front of 20 shooters, and show us your stuff on video. Ok, you only joined 2 days ago, so it may take you awhile to figure out how to post vids.... BTW, I only squad with LEO's who compete. So if you can't stand to, keep shooting from behind a bench at a static target at an indoor range, and think you actually know something, like, what? 200 rounds a year...

Surely you understand that coming in 118 out of 124 is Major sucks! If the guy had any juice at all, he would have smoked the Grand Masters, but he doesn't, and he didn't. because he is all HollyWood, like you. Bet you know all the movie gun guys, and their guns, but none of the World IPSC/USPSA/STeel Challenge/3 Gun champions, do you?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I dry fire 3-4 days a week. Usually 20-30 minutes. I have found that if I go longer my brain starts to disengage and the quality of my practice slides down. I shoot 3-5 matches a month. If I skip a week of dry fire my results at the next match show it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Question,,, I'm new to firearms. I practice dry fireing with on 1 snap cap. I just pull the slide just enough to engage the trigger. Is that okay to do? The alternative is load a mag with 5 snap caps. Dry fire has been good practice for when I go to the NRA range which is 3 miles from my house.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
snap caps are fine to absorb the energy, otherwise, it can blow out the breech face, seen it many times.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been dry firing for years and not just Glocks all pistols. Especially when polishing or doing trigger mods. I'm talking thousands of dry firing and never has a problem. I think it's just a myth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been dry firing for years and not just Glocks all pistols. Especially when polishing or doing trigger mods. I'm talking thousands of dry firing and never has a problem. I think it's just a myth.

I hear a lot from both sides a lot of them are competition shooters saying either yes or no

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the iTargetPro with laser. I use 9mm and my iPhone. It's great practice to learn focus and trigger control. You can also buy the draw and shoot timer target for it. It's more than static shooting. The buzzer goes off, you draw and shoot. Feedback is time to get off your shot, and accuracy. A retired Navy Seal instructor told me you should be shooting a very minimum of 4 dry fires to one live round. I do a lot more than that. He also recommended a log book: set goal for each practice, record results, and your goal for next session. I've done this religiously and it pays big dividends. Don't let people discourage you. You need a plan, execute it, record results, repeat. Check out Chris Sajnog on YouTube. You'll be amazed. Best wishes. I started shooting just this past January, I'm very happy with my progress and will always work to improve. Never pull the trigger one time without a purposeful desired result.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use laser-ammo bullets. They are really cool. You buy a 9mm and it comes with two sleeves to work wit 40 and 45 I think it is. I also bought their laser PET target. It has really helped with my grouping. Still working on placement. I've only been shooting for a year. I can't express how much difference I saw in my shooting once I started using the target at home.

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Round, you'll never know if you don't shoot competition, which I know you don't and never have. But, like Lenny is only one example, so am I, out of tens of thousands of competition shooters, and after 400,000 rounds since 1992 thru various Glocks. How about you? Competition shooting is only the pure mechanics of shooting fast and accurately, not tactics or training. So just show up at your nearest competition match, stand up in front of 20 shooters, and show us your stuff on video. Ok, you only joined 2 days ago, so it may take you awhile to figure out how to post vids.... BTW, I only squad with LEO's who compete. So if you can't stand to, keep shooting from behind a bench at a static target at an indoor range, and think you actually know something, like, what? 200 rounds a year...

Surely you understand that coming in 118 out of 124 is Major sucks! If the guy had any juice at all, he would have smoked the Grand Masters, but he doesn't, and he didn't. because he is all HollyWood, like you. Bet you know all the movie gun guys, and their guns, but none of the World IPSC/USPSA/STeel Challenge/3 Gun champions, do you?
Don’t you tire of hearing yourself talk? You’re a broken record. Me, me, me. I, I, I. If you don’t do it my way, you suck. If you can’t do this or that, you suck. If you don’t compete, you suck. If you don’t squad with LEOs, you suck. Are you so insecure that you have to make GF newcomers feel two inches tall?

You’re obviously knowledgeable. We get it. But, it would certainly be refreshing if you didn’t address people that are less experienced like they’re riding the gun owner short bus.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I dry fire often. Have a laser bullet for my 45 but recently purchased a semi realistic firearm with integrated laser and reset trigger. It’s a G19 replica and supposedly close in weight. Rather had a G30 but that’s not an option. Tried it shortly and appears to be exactly what I was looking for at a considerably more reasonable cost.

Was considering installing a reset trigger in my 30S and delegating it strictly to dry fire. Would be more realistic after finding a replacement mag with similar weight to loaded mag. Could also jus load a real mag since there’s no slide movement and the reset trigger can’t fire a live round plus laser bullet wedged in barrel. Regardless. I now have a more effective way to practice point and shoot then head to the range for considerably less time doing same with real ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts