Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been covered many times, but I would like to polish my G-33 barrel. If anyone could help with suggestions for the products needed to polish barrels, and the correct sequence of steps to do a quality job. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
If you're not experienced working with power tools, I would not recommend using power tools at all.
Same with sandpaper. Unless you have extensive experience working with the stuff, I would recommend against using it. If you ARE experienced... by all means, have at it.

Do it by hand if you can. Will take you about 6 hours total.

Get a big roll of paper towels and a container of Mother's Mag/aluminum wheel polish.

Dab a little on a square of paper towels that have been folded over several times (for strength) and work in small concentric circles. The black is just a "paint" and will start to come off. Take your time.

Finish off with cloth towels. Start with paper towels since they're stiffer and offer more "cutting" force (you won't wear yourself out as quickly).

You can use Birchwood Casey Gun Blue/rust remover or Vinigar to get rid of the black on the barrel, but BEEEEEE CAREFUL!!! caustic stuff can/will destroy the tennifer AND can RUIN your barrel.

There are a ton of threads on here with polishing the barrel. Do a quick search to see what others have discovered.

I'm sure others will be along to offer their suggestions.

HTH
D

·
Premium Member
45,457 Posts
YouTube it there are lots of video's.... I just soaked mine in vinegar (after I plug ends with cotton ball) for 2 hours and pull out and use a green scotch pad and rub over barrel and put back in an set another hour. Pull out and start polishing with flitz and a rag over and and over till all black is gone..(use a dremmel with soft buff pad) on all the places rag won't go.. Repeat polishing till u get shine u desire ..

·
Banned
767 Posts
+1 for mothers mag polish and a polishing wheel, stay far away from sandpaper

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
get nukinfuts to do it, LMAO!

Seriously though, there are a ton of how to videos on youtube, many suggest soaking in vinegar to speed up the black removal

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought some flitz polish, can't find the mothers locally, has anyone bought mothers in Washington state, if so where? Thanks for all the feed back!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Lucian_253 said:
I bought some flitz polish, can't find the mothers locally, has anyone bought mothers in Washington state, if so where? Thanks for all the feed back!
No ones chimed in but I've seen it at Walmart in te automotive section in the many states I've been to. Also auto supply stores has it as well.

D

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Yes it will.

Lots of folks on here using flitz.

D

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It says for guns to use microfiber cloth and do not let dry. I have read use paper towels, then cloth. I am trying it on an extra barrel first, still don't want to wreck it, but if I go slow I should be okay?

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
I use Flitz and polishing rouge.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Lucian_253 said:
It says for guns to use microfiber cloth and do not let dry. I have read use paper towels, then cloth. I am trying it on an extra barrel first, still don't want to wreck it, but if I go slow I should be okay?
The cloth vs paper towel to start with doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not YOU go slow.

Cloth is too soft to "cut" properly to start the polishing process so it will take you longer no matter what "speed" you are working at.

Hope that makes sense.

D

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
bhale187 said:
what is polishing rouge? is that a jewelry product? Do you use it after the flitz to bring out a shine?
Also known as polishing compound. Jewlers rouge is a type of polishing "rouge". And is most common.

Jewelers Rouge is "red" in color (hence the word "Rouge").

D

1 - 20 of 181 Posts