Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so on hr number 3 and although it's looks cool nice nickel black color I haven't got to a real shiny aluminum look and ideas or is it not possible with a steel barrel?

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Jrtx said:
Ok so on hr number 3 and although it's looks cool nice nickel black color I haven't got to a real shiny aluminum look and ideas or is it not possible with a steel barrel?
What are you using? OEM barrel? What polish? Rag? Cotton balls?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
What are you using? OEM barrel? What polish? Rag? Cotton balls?
Definitely need more info as to the materials you are using.

There are a couple of threads on how to get the black coating off.

If you're using flitz or mothers try starting with paper towels. They're a bit stiffer and have a bit more "cutting" power.

I take it you're not using sandpaper.

D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mothers rough rag/ one of those micro fiber rags no sand paper although I though about it And I finally moved on to the dremel

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Jrtx said:
Mothers rough rag/ one of those micro fiber rags no sand paper although I though about it And I finally moved on to the dremel
Usually takes 6 hours using paper towels and mothers mag polish. Loose the microfiber and keep going. Unless you are well experienced with polishing with power tools I don't recommend using the dremel.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
Took me about 2 hours maybe a lil more to polish it up using mothers, a rag, and elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Just be careful with the power tools. If you don't know what your doing, def stay away from the sandpaper.

If you hadn't moved on, I'd say start with the paper towels then rough rag and final final polish with the MF rag. But that's just me.

It does take 6 or so hours to do by hand. I did one by hand just for fun for a buddy of mine, (I'm normally a sandpaper/buffing wheel guy- but I've been polishing metals, precious and non for over 15 yrs), And it did take over 6 hours.
(crappy cell phone pics)....

Ymmv

D

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am good with power tools so I have moved on to the dremel I'm to the last of the black I think it's real shinny with a slight tent to it This ones for my buddy so I'm going to go all the way but I might stop at this stage when I do mine

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
You work hard, my friend, you work hard!!
Haha ya people tell me that alot and sometimes i do. I also forgot to mention i soaked my barrel in vinager for about 30-45 mins. When i took it out and started wipping it down, the black finish literally fell off.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
iGlock said:
Haha ya people tell me that alot and sometimes i do. I also forgot to mention i soaked my barrel in vinager for about 30-45 mins. When i took it out and started wipping it down, the black finish literally fell off.
Gasp!!! Cheater!!! Lol

·
Administrator
133,378 Posts
Started mine last night Mothers polish and a rag only. I will not soak mine or use sand paper out of personal preference. I know it takes longer to do it this way but to me its worth it.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
jbardellini said:
Started mine last night Mothers polish and a rag only. I will not soak mine or use sand paper out of personal preference. I know it takes longer to do it this way but to me its worth it.
Post pics when your done!!! :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts