Polished barrel help ???

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Jrtx, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jrtx

Jrtx New Member

Ok so on hr number 3 and although it's looks cool nice nickel black color I haven't got to a real shiny aluminum look and ideas or is it not possible with a steel barrel?

2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

What are you using? OEM barrel? What polish? Rag? Cotton balls?

3. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Definitely need more info as to the materials you are using.

There are a couple of threads on how to get the black coating off.

If you're using flitz or mothers try starting with paper towels. They're a bit stiffer and have a bit more "cutting" power.

I take it you're not using sandpaper.

D

4. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

All you need is some mothers/flitz polish and a rag. Oh and of course elbow grease.

glocklover19 likes this.
  5. Jrtx

Jrtx New Member

Mothers rough rag/ one of those micro fiber rags no sand paper although I though about it And I finally moved on to the dremel

6. Jrtx

Jrtx New Member

7. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Usually takes 6 hours using paper towels and mothers mag polish. Loose the microfiber and keep going. Unless you are well experienced with polishing with power tools I don't recommend using the dremel.

8. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Took me about 2 hours maybe a lil more to polish it up using mothers, a rag, and elbow grease.

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

You work hard, my friend, you work hard!!

10. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Just be careful with the power tools. If you don't know what your doing, def stay away from the sandpaper.

If you hadn't moved on, I'd say start with the paper towels then rough rag and final final polish with the MF rag. But that's just me.

It does take 6 or so hours to do by hand. I did one by hand just for fun for a buddy of mine, (I'm normally a sandpaper/buffing wheel guy- but I've been polishing metals, precious and non for over 15 yrs), And it did take over 6 hours.
    (crappy cell phone pics)....

Ymmv

D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

I just did two of mine and my buddies xd9. Each one took any eight hours. Just do it while you watch TV.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. louiespagouie

louiespagouie Senior Member

Yeah the TV. is your best friend while your doing the polishing that's for sure

13. Jrtx

Jrtx New Member

Well I am good with power tools so I have moved on to the dremel I'm to the last of the black I think it's real shinny with a slight tent to it This ones for my buddy so I'm going to go all the way but I might stop at this stage when I do mine

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Haha ya people tell me that alot and sometimes i do. I also forgot to mention i soaked my barrel in vinager for about 30-45 mins. When i took it out and started wipping it down, the black finish literally fell off.

15. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

+1!!!! thats what i was doing!

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Gasp!!! Cheater!!! Lol

17. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

Don't forget to post pics when you are done.

18. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

:D haha, it made the job easier.

19. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Started mine last night Mothers polish and a rag only. I will not soak mine or use sand paper out of personal preference. I know it takes longer to do it this way but to me its worth it.

glocklover19 likes this.
  20. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Post pics when your done!!! :D