Point me toward the shallow end of the pool?

Discussion in 'GSSF / IDPA / Competition' started by jamesdo72, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Decided to buy a pistol about a 24 months ago. With the ultimate intention to get me CC license. Did my research, saved my pennies & bought a G26 gen 4 in May. Since that time, I've pushed about 2000 rounds through it. I joined a local sportsman's club/shooting range & have shot in a low stakes bowling pin shoot tournament. All this said, I'm now finding myself more and more interested in shooting competitively.
    BUT...
    Does anyone shoot sub-compacts in competition?

How does one ease into competition shooting?

I live in central IL & established ranges are SCARCE so I'm not sure where to turn.

Any help you can share is appreciated.

2. Retired1

Retired1 Active Member Supporter

You are doing great!

They may be a bit of a drive, but Illinois has some excellent ranges.

Shooting USA had a TV program on back up guns. Here is a link -
    http://www.shootingusa.com/TV_SCHEDULE/SHOW_33-02/show_33-02.html

and a link to the IDPA -
    http://www.idpa.com/compete/competitiondetails/10662
    and another
    http://www.idpa.com/
    and yet another two - (IL IDPA clubs)
    http://www.idpa.com/compete/clubsearch?stateProvinceId=15&countryId=1&search=

http://www.idpa.com/compete/clubsearch?stateProvinceId=15&countryId=1&search=

Litchfield, Brittany (Bunker Hill), and Sparta (its worth the long drive), or
    Brookston, IN http://www.wvrpc.org/idpa.html

ranges may be closest to Charleston.

Maybe you can get a local range/club interested in providing something along these lines.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    SeventiesWreckers likes this.

3. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

You are the man retired1.

I appreciate ya.

4. I sometimes shoot IDPA with my G26. It’s good practice.

If you like your Glock, you might decide to add a G17 at some point, if you want a larger handgun for competition.

At the least, I’d suggest a G15 magazine and XGrip sleeve, which could help a bit on speeding up your draw and grip.

YMMV. Good luck!

jamesdo72 likes this.
  5. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Active Member

Look for local matches for USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge. Go watch a few matches and see which looks the most interesting to you. Steel Challenge/Speed Steel is a great place to start. It is all static shooting so no movement to worry about. Simply draw from your holster and shoot 5 steel targets as fast as you can. USPSA.org will point you to clubs in your area hosting matches. USPSA is not real friendly for a G26. Most use a G17 or G34/35. Don't run out and buy a bunch of gear before you figure out which discipline you want to shoot. Hit youtube and watch some videos for an idea of what to expect.

jamesdo72 likes this.
  6. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member

Find your nearest (to you) matches and contact the match director first to find out if they require a training session. Then show up with the gear you currently have and jump in. Shoot fast, have fun and don't point your gut at anyone (unless you want a really short day).

jamesdo72 likes this.
  7. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

IDPA has various classifications for the different types of handguns

jamesdo72 likes this.
  8. SixG17s

Patton, Divisions, Divisions, not classifications. That's a shooter skill percentage ranking, Divisions are based on gun rules..... So for example, you shoot SSP Division and are classified as a MarksMan. All gun games have Division rules, and lots of them. Anybodies gun can fit somewhere.

Nadz likes this.
  9. SixG17s

General Patton's 2nd Armour Division

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PattonWasRight and jamesdo72 like this.
  10. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

I have two G17 mags with xGrip sleeves. 17 bangs is a little more difficult to conceal, but it's damned fun at the range.
    I also have a sleeve for a G19 mag, but I've yet to buy a G19 mag. Amazon shipped the wrong one & when I complained, they shipped the correct one and told me to keep the extra... I love Amazon.

11. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

I am a YouTube shooter video addict. I shopped for months before I decided on a G26. Hickok45 was the tip of the scale. No regerts! LOL

GreggBates likes this.
  12. yorktown5

yorktown5 Member

Went to a GSSF match with my 26 in 2016 (there are several per year within driving distance for you, and GSSF is IMO the most new shooter friendly of the several possibilities). As an amateur I won Super Senior and Subcompact Division. (Also Pocket class with a 42 .380 and $100 for 2nd in Major Sub because of a .45 reload issue in my G30.) A month later at a 2nd GSSF match, I had exactly the same set of wins. Since three division wins (a new Glock for each) promoted me the Master class and the Sub-compact division, being rated before Pocket class, that means my baby Glock won me two guns in two outings.

Heck yes, as regards GSSF the G26 is no real handicap even in Divisions that allow for other models.

PS. As a Master class shooter this season my competition has kept me humble.

Rick

13. jamesdo72

jamesdo72 Active Member

Congrats man. That is impressive!

GreggBates likes this.
  14. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

Great point on "Division!" Love how Patton told it straight up. I don't think the average person knows how many common quotes are his.

For example “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” That's GP's work.

SeventiesWreckers likes this.
  15. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I agree about GSSF. The best intro to competition. With the 26, you can shoot “major sub” which lets you shoot fewer rounds from the other classes. You can use the 26 to shoot any division. They only allow 10+1 in all categories, so your 26 is a great fun to use.

I highly recommend GSSF for anyone new to competing.

jamesdo72 likes this.
  16. Liuk3

Liuk3 Member

That's not right. G26 cannot be shot in the major sub division in GSSF. It can be used in the subcompact division, among other divisions. Major sub is for G29, G30, G36, and G39. The G26 also cannot be used in the Heavy Metal division at GSSF. That being said, the G26 is a great pistol and can be used in a bunch of divisions in GSSF if you do want to compete with it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  17. Liuk3

Liuk3 Member

If you are really interested in competition shooting (e.g., IDPA, USPSA,etc.) other than GSSF, I might recommend getting a G34.