Glock Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a lot of plated bullets lately because frankly, they're cheap. Berry's and Ranier are good but I'm never using X-Treme plated bullets again. The plating is X-tremely soft and I've been stripping a lot of them during bullet seating. I'd say a good 10% have been ruined. I've not had this issue with Berry's or Ranier. Just a heads up. FMJ is by far better but expensive.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Been using Berry's plated bullets for a couple of years now, without a single hiccup! Love the brand, except sometimes you hit on a lot with large variations in bullet weight (up to 3 grains difference sometimes). But 250 bullets, 9mm 124-gr Flat Point Hollow Bottom, for $21 is hard to beat!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like not enough Bell put in the case before seating the bullet. I've been loading xtreme for a couple of years, without issue. I've peeled a couple back on the case mouth, but he case didn't have enough bell in it.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like not enough Bell put in the case before seating the bullet. I've been loading xtreme for a couple of years, without issue. I've peeled a couple back on the case mouth, but he case didn't have enough bell in it.
Like I said, this only happens with one particular brand of plated bullet and it has happened with 45 ACP and .40 S&W. I just loaded over 1000 rounds of 40 S&W using Ranier 180 gr and i didn't peel a single bullet.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably softer lead used in the xtreme brand. My only explanation then.
Let's say it is the Bell. How do I make it larger? Been doing this a little over a year and never knew i could do it. Never had to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let's say it is the Bell. How do I make it larger? Been doing this a little over a year and never knew i could do it. Never had to.
What brand of Dies are you using? Should just be able to adjust the center of the expanding die down a turn or so. It won't take much.

So you have this problem with thin wall bullets (plated)

Here is the expander inside that die, just adjust it down a turn. (shown on the left in this photo)

Here is an example of how they should look. Right to Left - straight to flared.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lee Precision dies
Been a long time since I used any Lee equipment, but I'd think they are ok. The Lee die is probably a powder through die and should be adjustable for seating depth by just turning the die clockwise (tighten) to increase the flare of the case.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'v heard more than a few people complain about Xtreme bullets, I use Berrys' not complains at all except the price is creeping up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts