Picked up 2 boxes of 50 count .45 auto today

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Pat Harmon, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Pat Harmon

Pat Harmon Well-Known Member Supporter

My local Amish hardware store sells ammo as well as everything else. Today, I stop in and he tells me he got something for me yesterday. He brings out 2 boxes of Federal FMJ 230 grain 50 count .45 auto for me.. At $17.49 a box of 50,I brought both home. Now, I will be able to go shoot my model 41 and see how it shoots.. Decent price as well I thought.

PaPow, LElliott, Mike Landy and 4 others like this.
  2. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

Cheapest on ammoseek this morning was $25 a box. Good price for these troubled times.

LElliott likes this.

3. Defendandprotect32

Defendandprotect32 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    That's a heck of a price for 45 in these times.

PaPow and LElliott like this.
  4. akpls

akpls Member

Good price! I just paid $25 a box for steel case stuff. But I also got 45 GAP for only $20 a box. I think I now have more GAP on hand than ACP!

PaPow, Mike Landy and Danzig like this.
  5. Pat Harmon

I pulled $60 bucks out and was waiting to get more out as I only have 1 box of 25 HP .45 ammo and was surprised when he handed me 1 $20 bill back before ringing me up. He still has 6 boxes of 10mm like I have for $15.79 per 25 which isn't terrible. He can't keep .22 ammo, but I found 6 bricks in my ammo stash my dad gave me..

6. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

My friend tried buying 500 rounds but he needed brass cased ammunition. It was over $470 with shipping.

I reload and it cost $200 for 1000 shipped. I have a cache of powder and primers.

I also reload 9 mm, 40 S&W , 10 mm, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum, 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum.

7. Pat Harmon

I am going to start buying powder now.. I have piles of primers from my dad.I have several dies but none in the Glock calibers I own. I have several thousand .357 magnum a couple hundred .44 Magnum and plenty for all my rifles. It's the 9mm,.40,10mm that I need to start reloading..

PaPow and Lucian_253 like this.
  8. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

Got an Academy gift card for my birthday and was hoping to get more pistol ammo, but both Academy stores near me were cleaned out of both .40 and .357 Sig. I found just 2 boxes of steel cased .357 Sig and decided I would come back and get them after I finished looking around. Just 5-10 minutes later and those 2 boxes were gone. I get the bonehead award for that move.

PaPow, LElliott, Danzig and 1 other person like this.
  9. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

Where I live, you have to get to Academy before they open and line up on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and stand on line to get any ammo. They usually get in a fair variety of ammo but not much of any of it.

Here the limit you to 3 boxes of any one ammo, and 5 boxes total per person. Prices are pretty much same as they have always been at Academy so they don't screw you there. There are lots of people in line who are buying what they can so they can turn around and sell it on craig's list for rip-off prices.

Don't know if you have a local Academy but you might want to check into their process.

Good luck.

PaPow, LElliott and Mike Landy like this.
  10. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

Locally .357 sig, .45 acp, & 10mm are same prices as before all this. 50 round count of federal hst 9mm was $50. Which is $20 more the usual.

PaPow likes this.
  11. Glockfinger

Glockfinger Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Ammoseek showed me that brownells had wolf steel case .45 acp for 16.99 per 50 count box, I grabbed 4.

PaPow, Lucian_253 and mattm like this.
  12. Jim Marshall

Jim Marshall New Member

Did they deliver?

13. Mike Landy

Mike Landy New Member

Kudos to the store clerk for keeping the prices honest!! Hard to find that nowadays.

14. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

selling some 9 to a neighbor tomorrow....matching ammoseeks lowest, and I'll leave it at that. No shipping/no tax...so much winning on both sides. :cool:

PaPow, LElliott, Lucian_253 and 2 others like this.
  15. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like someone worth supporting when things do get back to normal.

16. Pat Harmon

I have been supporting this business for many years they're in our little community not only do they have ammo but they're good with plumbing supplies and all that stuff in your very reasonable price Good people

17. djg1965

djg1965 Active Member

LGS just received 30 cases of various 9mm. Heading there in AM.

PaPow likes this.
  18. PaPow

PaPow Well-Known Member Supporter

NunYah
    Scary being without ammo. The gouging is terrible out there right now. Sure glad i reload.

LElliott likes this.
  19. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Ya know, You'd think the ammo manufacturers would be makin ammo 24/7/365 right about now. If they aren't, who, what or why are they being held back? I'm glad I have nuthin to worry about but something seems fishy. Anybody else gettin those vibes?

Bayou and PaPow like this.
  20. PaPow

PaPow Well-Known Member Supporter

NunYah
    This is just my opinion - i think ammo makers only make just enough to keep the pipeline flowing, nothing more. I dont believe there are storage facilities banking up a ton of ammo. You have wholesalers buying up alot only because its an election year too. The push/pull effect isnt working. The flow stopped. Everybody is affected by it.

So since this virus lie hit us, ALOT of places got affected by it. When just one place shuts down in the chain, it stops every thing in its path in manufacturing.

Now take into consideration how many people got taken out of work during the shut down. They collected unemployment checks, then the gov`t decided to give those people an extra $600 a week additional to their checks, people said to hell with going back to work. So who do they hire to take the place of those workers. (where`s MY extra $600 a week, i didn`t get that option)

Now take into consideration, all these NEW gun buyers because of the pandemic lies, ammo is needed on top of that new gun purchase. So these people bought boatloads of ammo as well.

Then consider the average gun owner, you an me, that shoot way more ammo than new gun owners ever will, ammo gets sucked up quickly.

Now comes the panic buyers, the sky is falling. Ammo disappeared! Ammo company`s can`t make it fast enough because they run a business so lean that when a panic hits, its all gone.

LElliott likes this.