Glock Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pistol Whipper
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a G26 gen4. Wanting to know if anyone has any ballistics and preferences on the best personal defense ammo for this particular gun.

·
166 Posts
original_shook said:
I carry a G26 gen4. Wanting to know if anyone has any ballistics and preferences on the best personal defense ammo for this particular gun.
I have that same Glock and right now I'm carrying it with Winchester pdx1 124gr but I'm thinking of changing to Hornady critical duty 135gr even though the Hornady loads are not made for shorter barrels I think it performs flawlessly

·
Pistol Whipper
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. but read it is designed to go through walls, glass, etc. I also use this in my home along with my tactical shotgun and don't want anything designed to penetrate walls.

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
Watch all of these ballistic test vids in this 9mm play list{tnoutdoors9} then make your own decision.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF

These vids helped me make my 9mm decision and that's the Federal HST 147 standard pressure. Used to be Hornady Critical defense and Duty until I watched those vids many times and done further research. The ballistics tests of Hornady just didn't do it for me compared to the HST's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speer golddot hp 124 gr +P item 53617

NYPD uses this load in their 19's, and it has an excellent street record. Google it online to find some. Mas Ayoob highly recommends this load. It's my EDC load in my Gen 4 G26.:D

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
NYPD uses this load in their 19's, and it has an excellent street record. Google it online to find some. Mas Ayoob highly recommends this load. It's my EDC load in my Gen 4 G26.:D
Just tossin this out there. If you watch the ballistic gel test of that load{Speer Gold Dot 124+p} from the play list I posted it did not expand evenly when clogged with denim on that particular test. Expansion was measured at a max of .650 on the high side with a retained weight of 123.9.

The HST 147{standard pressure} had almost exact same penetration with denim plug, had a much more destructive track, expanded evenly to .667 with a retained weight of 147.9.

I know Gold Dots are WIDELY used and have good street creds and I have some but those vids pretty much sold me on the HST's.

:cool:

·
289 Posts
Mike P said:
Just tossin this out there. If you watch the ballistic gel test of that load{Speer Gold Dot 124+p} from the play list I posted it did not expanded evenly when clogged with denim on that particular test. Expansion was measured at a max of .650 on the high side with a retained weight of 123.9.

The HST 147{standard pressure} had almost exact same penetration with denim plug, had a much more destructive track, expanded evenly to .667 with a retained weight of 147.9.

I know Gold Dots are WIDELY used and have good street creds and I have some but those vids pretty much sold me on the HST's.

:cool:
+1000 for me!!! 124+p is great, but the 147's perform better in my analysis...just my $.02

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
Check out the Winchester Ranger T's. I know in .40 165 gr. they are sick. Maybe the 9mm isn't bad either. But dang, those HSTs expand further than some .40 rounds do haha.

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
For some good, professional testing of the HST and Gold Dot go to www.le.atk.com and see the videos and test data under the Ballistic Testing section. This is the Federal and Speer LE site. My choice in 9mm is the 147gr HST standard pressure. I also carry the HST in 40 and 357SIG. Bill

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
For some good, professional testing of the HST and Gold Dot go to www.le.atk.com and see the videos and test data under the Ballistic Testing section. This is the Federal and Speer LE site. My choice in 9mm is the 147gr HST standard pressure. I also carry the HST in 40 and 357SIG. Bill
What weight do you carry in .40?

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
What weight do you carry in .40?
Jimmy,

I carry the 180gr HST in the 40. I like the weight for penetration and with the design of the HST the heavier bullets offer more expansion which is not typical of other bullet designs. The softer shooting 180gr gives easier, fast follow up shots as a bonus. Bill

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
Thesarge said:
Jimmy,

I carry the 180gr HST in the 40. I like the weight for penetration and with the design of the HST the heavier bullets offer more expansion which is not typical of other bullet designs. The softer shooting 180gr gives easier, fast follow up shots as a bonus. Bill
Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts