Penn State molestation scandal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JulesWinnfield, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Sorry, HAD to get this off my chest tonight:

To all the Joe Paterno apologists out there, how many career wins does it take before enabling a child predator becomes okay? 200? Or maybe it's 300? Apparently, 409 is the magic number for you people. If Joe Pa had been a .500 career coach would any of you be defending his actions (or inaction as it turns out) after having been told that his long time friend and defensive coordinator was preying on little boys?

Also, I wonder if Paterno's first phone call would have been to the school president and AD if McQueery, his football assistant coach, had told him that he had witnessed Sandusky sodomizing one of his grandsons in the locker room showers. Something tells me this whole sordid story would have had a VERY different outcome if that had been the case. And by the way, can someone please explain to me why not one reporter had the guts to put such an obvious question to the old geezer while he was still alive?

Listen, I love sports as much as the next guy but there is NEVER an excuse for trading the welfare of a child for the illusion of purity of a sports program. I can't believe we live in a day and age when that ACTUALLY has to be said!!!!

Joe Paterno may have done any number of commendable things during the course of his life, but his decision (yes, decision because this was no mistake) to turn his back while he knew young boys' lives were being irreparably destroyed FAR outweighs any good he may have done. Despite all the speeches about doing things the right way, going to class and earning a college degree; when Joe Paterno was put to the ultimate test, in terms of morals and integrity and what he stood for, he failed...MISERABLY! And no amount of wins can erase that.

2. What, nobody else out there with an opinion on the biggest scandal in sports?

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

OK, It is disqusting, anyone involved should get what the full extent of the law can hand out and anyone who covered it up should be prosecuted!! EOS!!

4. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

Symbolic of the state of our nation... people are apathetic - care more about sports, snookie, ‘getting to the top,’ self-indulged, narcissistic. (I am not against success, everyone should do their best). There are people who do care about freedom, justice, law& order... just not as many as there ought to be. It's why our country is being gutted and controlled by foreign interests & bankers... we don't even TRULY choose our puppet/president. I held back in what I just said.

5. Couldn't have said it better myself brother.

6. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

In no way is the following a defense of Papa Joe's actions...

Imagine for a second our closest and dearest friend was found to be molesting kids. We had no idea for all the many years we knew our friend. Imagine how hard it would be to turn him in.

Again, that's just a side thought. It is not a comment or defense of the Penn State situation. I agree with you that if this had been some DIII or NAIA scandal, people wouldn't think twice about defending the head coach. Likewise, it wouldn't be a national news item either.

The sad reality of the state of our nation is that we have chosen to become fat, greedy and lazy. Like you said, it's a choice we made (or didn't make); it wasn't a mistake. This has been the path of our American culture for much longer than the past four years, unfortunately.

I can go on and on for days about this subject which is why I've been reticent to engage too much on a public forum. My short version is that we have sacrificed too much of our honor and compromised too much of our integrity as a nation.

When the investigation concludes and if there is a trial for Papa Joe and if he is found guilty, he should definitely pay. Moreso, I feel that he (any guilty person) should be made to pay by physical restitution that befits the crime.

7. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

As I've said twice today on another forum...humans are stupid. And lazy, apathetic, self centered, weak...and did I mention stupid?

Yes, there are still some who still behave in an honorable, moral, ethical, selfish way. Unfortunately, the first category is the majority.

Agreed...but are you not aware that he died of cancer a while ago? It wasn't long after he was fired.

8. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

You know, I did know that and then I didn't anymore. (I hadn't filed it away in my organic hard-drive.) Thanks for reminder.

In any case, my sentiment regarding corrections remains the same. I don't necessarily believe in eye-for-an-eye for all crimes (just the big ones); what I prefer to believe is that if we truly wish to correct anything, the process needs to be much deeper in emotional impact. A criminal must be made to see the direct impact of his actions then he must be made to work off his restitution, for example. That's the only chance at true correction IMO. What we have instead is merely an incarceration system wherein it is considered cruel and unusual to make convicts work. I call BS on that kind of system.

9. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I agree. Prisons haven't "reformed" anyone in a long, long time. When you look back several decades to when people could be sentenced to "hard labor" and put on chain gangs, there was actually a deterrent. Of course, back then, people also had more of a sense of right and wrong and they actually cared about it. More people had a sense of honor, a sense of duty and stood up for their community and their country. We've lost most of that.

With prisons now, the only thing they lose is their freedom and for some of them, they have A/C, cable TV and internet access for the first time in their lives. They also don't have to worry about food, if even it's not that great, it's always there.

Personally, I think prisoners should live in conditions that are equal to or, preferably, worse, than the worst conditions in the military. It's 120 degrees in Afghanistan? Then the prison should be 121 degrees. TV, internet and phone calls should be limited to less than our troops get. They should be eating the oldest MREs, and we should be sending new production over for the troops.

And for their yard time, they should be forced to hide behind rocks, wearing full gear, while the guards shoot at them and throw grenades around.

Maybe then prison would be a deterrent again.

10. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can I get an AMEN!?^^^^

11. Blaze

Blaze Active Member Supporter

I want that homer pic.

12. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

That pretty much sums it up: it's not enough of a deterrent currently. Within some gangs, it's even a badge of misguided honor. And with overcrowding in the system leading to earlier or possibly easier parole, there isn't any or enough real correcting.

Not to get too religious but I like to think on the following scenario when it comes to justice. (Bear with me.)

Imagine God and Satan are eternally battling over our souls in order to fill their ranks in Heaven and Hell. With all their powers, the only thing they can't do is mess with free will. Our choices and actions on earth dictate which army in the afterlife we eventually are drafted to (wings or horns). It does neither God nor Satan any good to merely kill us because our souls are governed by actions of free will. Satan killing an "innocent" would merely send the soul to his opponent's army. You follow me so far? Likewise for God dispatching a wrongdoer.

Even if you don't believe in Heaven or Hell, you can grasp the idea of the story as it relates to how we manage criminal acts as a system.

On our earth, making them work is good. Hard labor can teach. And if not, we hope it deters. For the truly evil among men, I say "To Hell with them." For the rest (ie, lawbreakers but not necessarily evil men), make 'em do hard time in ways that benefit society, preferably in the areas where the criminal did wrong.

Think about it: When you were a kid and did something stupid/wrong like vandalize your neighbor's house, if you were lucky, your father made you apologize to your neighbor then he not only made you physically work to repair your damage, he hopefully made you do some extra work for your neighbor or neighborhood as penance. And if you were smart, you learned something valuable.

If you've read this much and are still with me so far, then you also realize that it takes extra work for your father to watch you do yours. But hopefully in the end, it's worth it.

If you* weren't smart and didn't learn anything your father tried to teach you, I wonder if you're reading this from the prison library's free wi-fi connection (WEP password: "don't drop the soap").

* Generic YOU. Not you, jonm61. : )

13. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

We are definitely on the same page there! I was the "good" kid because I was more concerned about the consequences than the "reward" of misbehavior.

As things are today, prison is so small of a consequence that it's almost a reward. For some, it is a reward, either because they live more comfortably, or because it gains them 'respect' in their gang/community.

And people wonder what's wrong with society or why the "system" doesn't work. :rolleyes:

14. I can't help but want to vomit at the sight of all those Penn State apologists crying upon hearing yesterday's sanctions handed down by the NCAA. What a sickening sight!

Here's a couple of questions for all of you: How many of you cried like that for the victims of Sandusky? How many of you cried for the boys who were victimized in the 14 years AFTER Joe Pa learned of his friends' pedophilia and actively worked to conceal the crimes?

You people need to take long deep look at your souls and what it is you stand for and believe in. Football is after all entertainment, nothing more and nothing less. It is not a religion and Joe Pa is and never was a saint at whose feet you should worship.

Kudos to the NCAA. If it were up to me I'd raze the whole rotten campus!

15. Okay, I'll get hammered for this, but i see the NCAA ruling and penalties as a terrible decision for a number of reasons.

As far as the molestation goes, I totally agree that Sandusky should be hung from a tree in the town square, and Paterno and every other enabler should be similarly punished to the full extent of the law and NCAA, but who is really going to pay the price of the $60 fine, the lost scholarships, and the bowl game bans? Locals, students, and football players who had NOTHING to do with the sick crap that occurred.

The College already fired everyone involved and is trying to bring the school and all the students back to some degree of normalcy. The school and the town and local area are all devastated by the situation, but now, the economic impact to locals will be crushing to their economy. Penn State is the overwhelming cornerstone to that local economy, and now we're gonna screw that up in an already wretched national economy? To that reward?

Anyone who thinks that school and area wasn't crushed by the scandal already is a close minded person. Tall about kicking a dog when they are down!

Taking away Paterno's wins and laurels is valid and right, but those games were won by players, players who knew nothing about Sandysky and his deviant garbage.

I am hardly a sports fan, let alone a football fan, and could not care less about college football victories. I played football as a kid through high school, but i only watch football as social event with friends. But this is about punishing an entire organization population for the terrible sins of the few. We did not do that in war (nazi Germany, Imperial Japan), so why are we doing it in Pennsylvania?

The crimes were horrific, no doubt. But we can agree that all gun owners should not be punished for the outrageous actions of the few. So how is this different?

16. Really? Kinda like what God did to Sodom and Gomorrah? Even God told Lot that He would spare the city if He found 5 innocent people. You don't think there are 5 innocent people in State College?

17. Good question. IF they exist tell them to please make their presence known. It would help restore my faith in humanity.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  18. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

And those 5 could not be found. . . . .So he destroyed.

19. Good point.