Para Ordnance

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

This is my Para Ordnance P12-45...a 12+1 double stacked magazined semi-automatic M1911 style pistol made in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.

[​IMG]

2. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

That's pretty sweet, what is the warranty like on these guns?

3. SHOOTER13

Well Jimmy, I bought this gun used so I didn't have a warranty per say, but since the gun was brand new in 2001, and I bought it in 2003 from a guy who shot and carried it rarely...I think in the nine years I've owned it I have never had a reason to need one.

Having said that...this particular model is no longer made ( under that name...the new 1911 series is called the WartHog or just Hawg )... and the new Para's have a lifetime warranty for the original owner...

http://www.paraord.com/new/service_lifetime.php

4. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Looks like this one is similar in size to a Colt Defender but a double stack? What do you think about it verses your Colt?

5. SHOOTER13

My 2 cents...

My Gold Cup wins hands down...at the 20-25 yard range...due to the 5" pipe, it's alot more accurate. The P12-45 was my EDC for quite a few years before I got my G30SF, and it served that function well because of the short distances usually involved in self defense situations, as well as the fact that it held 12 +1 rounds of .45 and was very reliable. I still practice presentations from cover and fire double taps at targets within 10-15 yards...

I'm a firm beliver in the right tool for a given situation. Even at 25 yards, you are at the extreme range for a handgun...( not that you can't hit out past that range ) but any further, the rifle is the better tool to reach for, accuracy wise.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

That is what I was curious about. I also have a Colt Gold Cup, best shooting range gun I have ever shot. I use to have a Colt Defender but for it's size and only 6 rounds, it had to go. That is why I was asking about the double stack, loved the size but hated shooting the little thing, so I was hoping it was easier to hold on to.

Oh well, thanks for the info.

7. SHOOTER13

Oh yea...the Para was easy to shoot and hold on to...it filled the hand, and the extra weight tamed the recoil, and it was as accurate as a 3.75' barrel can be at a given distance. But like you mentioned...the Colt GCNM was thee range king as far as accuracy. Those Defenders were nice too...but you gave up capacity and got a little more recoil for the size.

8. jimmyalbrecht

Hmm I will have to give Para a good look for when I purchase a 1911. Lifetime warranty is a must if I buy it new!

9. jimmyalbrecht

Btw, I shot one of the new Wart Hogs a guy had at the range (3" barrel single stack) and that sucker had some pop to it. Follow up shots past 15 feet would be very hard to do quickly.

10. I had a Para Ordinance LDA (Light Double Action, the sweetest trigger pull double action firearm I've ever used) made in 2003 that was an excellent gun. High quality, well made, reliable (not a single malfunction). My dad had the same model made in 2010 and it left a bit to be desired. The gun just didn't have the same quality feel and it malfunctioned many times while he owned it. Also the paint (yes, the aluminum frame was not annodized but painted OD green) started wearing off almost immediately. Subsequently, I sold him my LDA so I could by my Kahr and he sold his LDA so he could buy my LDA.

I haven't written Para off yet, as I would consider owning another in the future, but I would really look at what I'm buying and hopefully rent one to shoot before I make the purchase.

11. SHOOTER13

I've heard that the quality of the newer specimens has gone down some...but as you said, the older models were top shelf. The P12-45 is a single action...

12. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

This is my old, 13-45 from Para.
    [​IMG]

13. SHOOTER13

Another excellent shot rj...

How did you like the performance of the P13...?

14. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

Miss my Para LTC 1911, had to part ways to help pay for my divorce.

15. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

I like it. I put a two piece guide rod in it, and a Wilson ambi-safety.

The slide was rather soft, and the area where the slide stop engages caused a little deformation. However, it shoots very accurately.

16. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

The spring was soft or the metal is soft?

17. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

The slide metal is soft. You can see that it's a bit rounded off in the picture. Doesn't lock back 100% anymore.

18. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Wow, thanks for the warning. That is not good in my opinion.

19. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

Yeah. I was going to swap out the slide, but figured why bother. I don't carry it, and it's just a range toy. If and when I wear it out, I'll consider doing an upgrade on it. Just too much stuff taking priority right now. (and has been for the last 15 years I was telling myself I'll get to it.)

20. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

Great guns. I had a P14. 14+1 was impressive.