Painted lettering

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by law, Feb 5, 2012.

1. law

law New Member

How do u paint lettering white?

2. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Theres a theard on this topic already but theres different ways; crayon, nail polish, white out...

3. nd4spd3001

nd4spd3001 New Member

Texas
    Go for the white, or any other color you like in the Crayola box. I did white. It's easy and actually stays on well. Have been to the range twice and it still is there. See my profile picture.

4. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

I use Lacquer Stik (fill in paint) quite for awhile. Bought these HERE few years back. It comes in Red, Gold, Black & White about $5 each..

[​IMG]

TIPS:
    1. burn the tip before rubbing it (circular motion) when the tip gets hard & dry. This helps to fill in the letters nicely.
    2. I use Gun Scrubber (birchwood casey) in paper towel to scrub off excess color on the slide.
    3. store it in ziplock or any sealed container when not in use to prevent from drying

OTHER USES
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Definitely go for a crayon. What I do is first wipe down the area that you want to color with alcohol so that no oils from your hands creates a barrier between the wax of the crayon and the slide. Then, just go wild. Use a good bit of pressure so that you fill in what you need to. Then, once you're done, scrape off the excess with a credit card or DL or anything of the sort. Use the alcohol to remove the excess that the card didnt get. Then repeat the process as needed. It took me two coats.

6. E_Ross

E_Ross New Member

I'm going to try this. Looks sweet.

7. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

This is mine I did with crayons. Ive cleaned it up and added a second coat since this picture.

ForumRunner_20120208_031653.jpg

8. Ogre

Ogre New Member

This is the lettering I've done on a pair of my firearms using white fingernail polish. Clean the surface, apply to the stamps or engraving gently and smoothly. Allow to dry. Use a towel with non aceton polish remover and using two or three strong strokes remove the excess.

[​IMG]

Saiga 20. This job is actually several years old and has not been touched up. The logo or whatever russian klingon that is on the receiver is not faded or worn, I just didn't bother to 100% it. The old phrase of "it looks better in person" applies here too. The warm color lights muddles things in photos.

When 'illuminating the trades' I had first used the crayon method. While it looked great at first it did not stand the test of time. The crayon melted in the heat of summer in my cars trunk during range trips and it was soft enough either from firing and summer heat that it began picking up grime and coupled with heat and usage just didn't do that well. After the crayon had melted somewhat at times during cleaning it smeared leaving a thin sheen of the wax which caused me to avoid those areas during cleaning. So when I learned about the polish method I gave that a shot and I find that, IME to be the sturdier method.

[​IMG]

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine. This is only a few weeks old. Worked well on the High Temp paint job I used on the receiver shroud.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. Gilmo76

Gilmo76 New Member

Ok, so just for the sake of being diff. and plus I like green, yes, I did my lettering in green on my G23 & all it's clips. Going to see in about an hour what it's gonna look like...

10. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I juat did mine in green ill post a pic

11. Gilmo76

Gilmo76 New Member

The wife's nail polish is coming in handy....I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Looks good!!

12. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

This was actually done with the crayon method haha but yeah definitely keep us updated!

13. jesster

jesster New Member

Here is some of my work. I used paint pens.

14. Dboyce12

Dboyce12 New Member

I used Chrome nail polish its hard to get the leftovers around the letters ughhh polish removed isn't working

ForumRunner_20120216_002730.jpg

15. Gilmo76

Gilmo76 New Member

This is my G23 after I did all the lettering on it and all it's mags in bright green...I love it.

Attached Files: