PA resident looking to buy Glock in NJ - worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by jorofoto, May 3, 2012.

1. jorofoto

jorofoto New Member

Long time lurker, first time poster. Currently I own a Glock 17 and live in Philadelphia, PA and am in the process of getting my CCW.

I have a friend in NJ who is looking to sell her Glock 19 (Gen 4 in OD Green) which I planned to use as a carry piece. However, I started looking up what I'd have to do to purchase the gun off of her, and noticed that NJ laws are worse than NY laws (where I'm originally from and never bothered to try and own a gun; lived in Westchester County [one of the worst offenders])

I figured I'd have to go through an FFL but how involved is the process and is it even worth it?

Thanks!

2. mikecu

mikecu New Member

Doesn't she ship it to your FFL and you just give him his fee and pick it up?

3. jorofoto

jorofoto New Member

Well that's what I was wondering, because with regards to NJ's laws everything I came across made it quite confusing so figured I'd ask in here and see who can chime in.

4. Suggest you visit or call your FFL and ask them if they've ever done a transfer to a person living in PA from someone living in NJ and what do you need to do. A 30 second phone call might be all it takes, and you'd be getting answers directly from the FFL you would be dealing with.

5. Its NJ cover your ass and use an FFL

Born and raised in Millville NJ for 21 years

6. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

Honestly, If you don't care about the OD color it'd be better just to get one local. Now if you just want this particular gun, see what the law says about if they met you in PA and do a FTF sale. Might save you some money and hassle.

7. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I'd assume it's like buying any other gun online . If your worried have her take it to an FFL in NJ and ship it to your FFL in PA . I lived in NJ for 25 years and would never cross the bridge from PA to NJ with any gun . Nazi Jersey

8. OD can be painted on very easily.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum jorofoto !!

FFL in NJ ships to FFL in PA...no other way !

10. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

That would be a violation of Federal law.

Your end is the easy part. You need to find a NJ FFL to find out what she needs to do to have it shipped to a FFL in PA. If there are any complications, it will be on the NJ side. Once the gun arrives at the FFL of your choice in PA, the process will be no different for you than buying a gun in PA, except that you'll only be paying the transfer fee, rather than for the gun.