+P?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by jgreen3399, Jan 11, 2018.

1. jgreen3399

jgreen3399 New Member

Just bought a new gen 5 glock 19 9mm. Curious as new whether or not +p and/or +p+ ammo is safe for this gun. New to the glock word and having a hard time getting this info. Looking for leads. Thanks

2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

From Glock FAQs... https://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq

Can I use +P and +P+ ammunition?
    Glock suggests using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or industry specifications. If you are not sure the ammunition brand or type you choose is safe for use, call the ammunition manufacturer and ask if the product meets SAAMI guidelines before using it in you firearm. Some +P ammunition meets these guidelines, +P+ normally does not. This ammunition may generate a higher pressure over the standard loadings, and may shorten the component life of your firearm.

SAAMI Std.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    jgreen3399 likes this.

3. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

I’ve spoken to Glock and no issues with +P. This however was regarding Gen 4. Can’t see Gen 5 having issues but a quick call will resolve it. Was told to expect quicker wear. That makes sense.

Specific to my inquiry was to use for practice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    jgreen3399 likes this.
  4. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member

I've chron'd WINSXT 127 gr +P+ to over 1,350 fps in a OEM G17. No worries. Wouldn't run it for 20,000 rounds though... Glocks, unlike wide body 1911's, won't hold up to Major 9 loads for very long. That's why you see very few of them in USPSA Open Division.

jgreen3399 likes this.
  5. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

I would hope most people won't shoot +P or +P+ through their firearm all the time. I would only use it for defensive ammo.

6. jgreen3399

jgreen3399 New Member

Exactly my thought. Just using it for defense loads. Thanks bud

7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

Shooting a few magazines of factory +P or +P+ to test your pistol's reliability and for you to become familiar with the pistol's 'high pressure' recoil with your chosen self defense cartridge is a non-issue. ;)

Happy shooting! :)

jgreen3399 and sglide05 like this.
  8. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

+P falls under SAAMI specifications. +P+ does not. What that means is that there is no industry standard for +P+ ammunition. It can and will vary from one manufacturer to another. No maximum pressure ceiling. +P I do use but +P+ I won't touch.

jgreen3399 and rbbeers like this.