+P ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by G22GEN4, Apr 26, 2012.

1. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Does anyone use +P ammo in their Glock(s)? If so, has there been any problems? What caliber do u shoot in +P?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes, I have shot Remington Golden Saber .45ACP 185grain +p ammo through my

G30SF with no problems and great accuracy !

3. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

9mm +p is very common for self defense rounds

4. Yep no issues in Glock with +p or +p+

5. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

No issues here either.

6. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Ok I've heard a lot about .40 expanding. Has anyone shot .40 in +P? What's the actual purpose of a +P round? Sorry for all the questions, I just need some info before I indulge.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

In general, the purpose of a +P cartridge is to get a higher velocity for a given bullet weight than a standard pressure cartridge.

8. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

How is this achieved? Smaller bullet with more charge mixture? I know about the p ammo, I'm just curious of how they get the extra ummph out of it.

9. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

I'm thinking same bullet different powder, but I've been wrong before.....

10. Im curious about this as well.

11. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

No . 40 +P. The .40 round is already fully loaded. If you can find .40 +P ammo, don't shoot it in your Glock. Glock barrels are not designed for that much pressure.

I shoot 9mm 147gr +P without any problems.

12. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I have shot Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P without any issues.
    Not that I shoot it all the time, but have shot plenty to believe in it.

13. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The only +P 40cal I am familiar with is Buffalo Bore, and they specifically say to not shoot it in a Glock due to the chamber not being fully supported. There are aftermarket barrels like Lonewolf that have a fully supported chamber though.

That said, I have never fired a +p 40cal, I am not an engineer, I am not a gunsmith, nor a firearms expert so I have no idea if that is really safe or not.

14. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I shot BB out of my 29 with no problems at all. But then again, the Glock 10mm barrel is fully supported. Talk about some hot stuff though. Jesus.

15. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Yeah, like I said. If you can EVEN find .40 +P. Don't shoot it in your Glock. Or do shoot it and send us some pics from the ER of your hands looking like hamburger meat. Yummy!

16. bhale187

BB makes some impressive rounds. I've been thinking of getting some for my keltec P3AT .380

17. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I'm not so sure I would trust a kel tec for BB loads. Buddy of mine when I was in the service put some DT through his and it blew out the trigger pin, magazine, and magazine catch.

18. bhale187

BB tested their 380 +Ps in the Keltec. I don't plan to use it at the range or anything, just a mag full of them for carry.

Was it a kaboom, a squib, or just firing the round(s) that caused the problem with the DT?

19. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

It was a kaboom. Kinda crazy.