Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what other caliber than 22 and 223 it's good for the money to spend some time at the range?

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
That's your best bet. Next would be 7.62.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
7.62X54R (AKA Mosin nagant) Gun retails for $119 and ammo 20 Rounds for $12 bucks (surplus is cheaper and very common)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm planing to get an American brand rifle, I don't think I would be able to fiend it on that caliber.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
7.62X54R (AKA Mosin nagant) Gun retails for $119 and ammo 20 Rounds for $12 bucks (surplus is cheaper and very common)
+1000000

880 rounds of 7.62x54r for around $140 shipped to your door. That price cany be beat.

Couple that with rifles that cost less than $150 and you've got a fun day at the range.

D

·
Glocker
416 Posts
When you say an "American" rifle.no you mean one made in the USA? If so than get a all American AK-47. Great rifle,wide variety of spare parts,it's still used today by our military and others so ammo will be easy to come by,and in a SHTF situation, ammo is everywhere.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dwcfastrice said:
+1000000

880 rounds of 7.62x54r for around $140 shipped to your door. That price cany be beat.

Couple that with rifles that cost less than $150 and you've got a fun day at the range.

D
I'm agree, that's a really good deal! I'll keep this option in mind.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fuzzytofu said:
When you say an "American" rifle.no you mean one made in the USA? If so than get a all American AK-47. Great rifle,wide variety of spare parts,it's still used today by our military and others so ammo will be easy to come by,and in a SHTF situation, ammo is everywhere.
Sorry I meant a bolt action synthetic stock. Like a Ruger, Savage, Remington, Mossberg. Nothing against AKs or wooden stock rifles, I think they are great! like all fire arms in my opinion. But Im looking now for a synthetic bolt action...

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blackwolffcf said:
Lol!! Wow! I didn't expect that one! Every day I learn something new! :)

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah the remmington made mosin or places like cabelas sell a sythetic stock you drop the rifle into. Scope mount etc... I love those rifles! I know its the first thing I thought of...

But other than the 7.62 if you're looking for another caliber sub 308 3006 as I saw you mentioned I do have to ask if you've looked into 243? They make for nice rifles hunting or range fun

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bfish said:
Yeah the remmington made mosin or places like cabelas sell a sythetic stock you drop the rifle into. Scope mount etc... I love those rifles! I know its the first thing I thought of...

But other than the 7.62 if you're looking for another caliber sub 308 3006 as I saw you mentioned I do have to ask if you've looked into 243? They make for nice rifles hunting or range fun
I was looking yesterday to the Ruger American Rifle on 243... The rifle price its about 400$, and its has amazing reviews. I have never shot a 243 win, so I don't even know what's their price range on ammo. Do you think it's about the same of a 308 price or maybe a lil cheaper?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,462 Posts
An American bolt action rifle bigger than .223, not expensive, ammo not too expensive.
I'm thinking a Savage, Ruger or Remington in .308.
Those rifles are cheap (depending on model) and you can get .308 military surplus ammo cheaper than any other large caliber plus you can find .308 at any store that carries ammo and have premium ammo for hunting or precision.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Danzig said:
An American bolt action rifle bigger than .223, not expensive, ammo not too expensive.
I'm thinking a Savage, Ruger or Remington in .308.
Those rifles are cheap (depending on model) and you can get .308 military surplus ammo cheaper than any other large caliber plus you can find .308 at any store that carries ammo and have premium ammo for hunting or precision.
If 90% would be range practice no longer than 100 yards. 10% hunting small games. Which caliber would you choose between 308 win and 243 win?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts