Glock Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built an Ar-10 pistol with a 12.5 inch barrel. I cannot decide what optic to put on this, I am leaning towards an Eotech EXPS-2 or a Primary Arms 1x8 FFP Raptor(Primary Arms SLx 1-8x24FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-RAPTOR-5.56/5.45/.308). I cannot decide with what to go with, I keep going back and forth. I plan on using this pistol primarily as a range toy due to its loud nature. My range that I shoot at is max 100 yards, but they plan to build a 200 yards range in the future. Is it dumb to put a LPVO on this since I lose energy and velocity with a pistol length barrel? What route would you guys go with? Or would you go another route?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I vote for the exps-2
I put one on my dd mk18 a few months ago and it has become my hands down favorite optic. I mostly shoot 200 yards or less

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
For my money,I have astigmatism so that plays a large part in my choices Swampfox Liberator,circle dot retical especially on a AR pistol.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I vote for the exps-2
I put one on my dd mk18 a few months ago and it has become my hands down favorite optic. I mostly shoot 200 yards or less
Do you use the Eotech G33 magnifier? Or do you straight up only use the Exps-2 at 200 yards.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
In your case, range gun 100-200 yards, I would go with the LPVO.
Weight is not a problem (on the contrary, it might be beneficial) and some magnification would be appreciated at those distances.
I’m considering the Sig Bravo 3 (fixed 3X magnification) for similar reasons.

·
Old Soldier
100 Posts
Anything that starts with Aimpoint! Have a ex-military M-3 on my Saint and a PRO on my Saint Victor AR-10. Best red dots out there, and if you're military, retired military LEO and maybe a few others sign up and there is a pretty good discount.
Sarge

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In your case, range gun 100-200 yards, I would go with the LPVO.
Weight is not a problem (on the contrary, it might be beneficial) and some magnification would be appreciated at those distances.
I’m considering the Sig Bravo 3 (fixed 3X magnification) for similar reasons.
Why would you choose a fixed 3x instead of a LPVO for your set up? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Why would you choose a fixed 3x instead of a LPVO for your set up? I'm just curious.
Cost is the only reason. I read in a couple of places that to get a good and durable LPVO, one would need to spend 3x the amount of what a good and durable Prism Optic would cost.
I’m looking at spending around $300.

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
I agree, can’t go wrong with an ACOG, but it costs much more.
The Sig Bravo 3 and Bravo 5 are supposedly a direct competition to the ACOG, but at a much lower price.
I’m interested in which ever Sig one you get. I have one rifle without magnification, & it’s getting hard to see 200 yards without it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I’m interested in which ever Sig one you get. I have one rifle without magnification, & it’s getting hard to see 200’ without it. Thanks!
5X would be better at 200 yards, but might be too much at closer distances (like 15-25 yards).
Both don’t work well for CQB. Some reviewers say that if you train you can make them work for CQB.
3X might be the best compromise.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I wouldn't leave Holusun out of the mix.

Really, a $119 Sig Romeo 5 with a magnifier should do what you want. PA has deals on their magnifiers every once in a while. For $250 max you can be peachy keen fine.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I’m interested in which ever Sig one you get. I have one rifle without magnification, & it’s getting hard to see 200 yards without it. Thanks!
I have read some reviews with people complaining about the dot being too small and the eye relief too short.
A magnifier might still be the best choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts