Featured Opinions please for first gun

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by nurseKc, Oct 3, 2017.

1. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

So I'm finally getting my first gun and it will be a glock for sure but I'm still researching which one. I want it for home defense and as a new hobby, more guns to come for sure but I would like opinions on my first. I went to bass pro and really like the glock 23 .40 s&w, it felt perfect in my hand! But a lot of people are saying to go with a 9mm. I'm definitely not a dainty chick, I can definitely hold my own. Any advice

RagingBee and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. Retired1

Retired1 Active Member Supporter

The G23 (.40) and the G19 (9mm) are the same size. You would be pleased with either. I have weak hands and have carried a G22 .40 since 1993 with no issues in marksmanship.

There is a lot of happiness of ownership in getting what you want instead of getting what you are told to get, liking it, or not. I think a person shoots better when they like the gun they re shooting.

This being your first gun, and before making a purchase, I suggest going to a gun range that has rental guns and try shooting a variety of styles and calibers of pistols. I'm guessing that if you have a Bass Pro close by that there is a gun store with a range somewhere close by.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

3. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

Renting at a range is truly the best advise. Only you will know what best fits you. All calibers 9mm and up can stop a threat with proper placement. All however behave differently.

9mm I'm told is the softest. 40 I'm told is snappy. 45 I was told more push than 40 and more snap than 9. I shoot 45 because that platform fit my hand the best and 10mm I was told was just crazy. One day I'll have to go to the range and try one out. It's the most capable. Packs the most punch. Expensive to shoot.

I'm betting the most popular suggestion will be the G19. Seems to be the most popular and for many reasons.

However. Benefit of starting with a 40 is the ability to change barrels out and plink with 9 but later switch back and defend with 40. 40 being a watered down 10. If the 23 feels comfortable than at a minimum you've selected a platform. 45/10 may feel too big. Only thing left is to shoot a 23 and 19. If one doesn't want the expense of changing barrels should the 9 handle better.

4. RFM

RFM New Member

I agree with Retired1, going to a range and trying a few models and calibers is the smartest way to determine what you like. What feels good in your hand is important but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the best accuracy. Your trigger pull skills determine that. If you've not had any instruction on handling and shooting I'd highly recommend it. I finally settled on the Glock 19. Great for CC, light weight and virtually no recoil once you get used to it..

GreggBates, loveglocks and nurseKc like this.
  5. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Hello, new gun shooter/owner

There is more to choice other than caliber which depends on if you stick to your plan to usage. If you are truly going to use it for home defense and a range fun gun, then any will work, big or small. To learn to shoot if this is the case here, a bigger, physical size, and easy to shoot and control calibers ease the way mentally, and physically, no matter how tough one is; of course the military and cop shops do not care about such smooth entries into new skill sets.

If you plan to carry concealed some of the above may need a few tweaks, depending on how you dress, your shooting skills, and how you intend to carry; holster on the belt, body holsters with elastic belts, ankle holsters, shoulder holsters, purse holsters, and many others in style and application.

Make a good attempt to get personal experience with any gun you choose if possible, or you are left to others' opine or reading about them, or watching videos. It is not life and death choosing a gun, as a good shooter can hit the mark with a five dollar pistol, hence, your shooting skills must be your primary focus; being a good shooter with a cheap pistol trumps being a bad shooter with any gun.

nurseKc likes this.
  6. Exit Plan

Exit Plan Member

I would put brakes on and take a look at Walther PPQ. It has the best features of Glock but with many improvement. If you compare both side by side in hand, you won't come home with the glock is my bet to you.I hope this reply is relevant to your question.Get one before the ban.

Lucian_253 and nurseKc like this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Nurses are NOT dainty...and we appreciate that !!

I would try to find a range that allows you to rent and shoot BEFORE you buy.

9mm is a good round...especially the new specialty rounds that they sell in 25 round boxes...

If I carry my 9mm...I use the Hornady Critical Defense rounds... 115 grain FTX

.40S&W is a stout round...lots of felt recoil. NOT that it can't be handled...but even men complain about it.

Now...the .45ACP...my favorite round...has the stopping power...and not as much felt recoil as the .40...just a little more than a 9mm.

Again...instead of 230 grain FMJ...(Ball)...Twice the weight of a 9mm (Ball)... I also use the Hornady Critical Defense...185 grain FTX...1000fps at the muzzle.

So...having said that...you said Glock is your choice.

Do you have big or small hands...?! The gun has gotta fit your hand...PERIOD

Now...the Models of Glock...say 9mm

https://us.glock.com/products/all

If it don't feel right...it usually isn't.

If a small Glock...like a G43 (9mm) fits...buy it...less weight...smaller...less rounds.

If the G19 (9mm) fits...more weigh...more rounds...that's the one.

The G17...holds the most...and is full size. If it fits...you got some firepower there. But, fully loaded, it will be a brick.

Try to hold em all...for fit. Does you finger reach the trigger and put the pad of that digit on it so that you can squeeze that trigger, not jerk it ?!

Then fire them...to see the recoil of the caliber(s).

Then choose...as only YOU can decide what IS RIGHT for YOU.

The bigger the gun, the more weight...the less felt recoil...and it usually holds more rounds.

But...it's got to fit !!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes...

loveglocks, BuzzinSATX and nurseKc like this.
  8. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

Welcome ... whatya' drinking there on the beach?

Only thing I have to add is that if you do get a 40 cal, you can with the purchase of two barrels and a couple of mags, you'd be able to shoot both the smokin' 357 Sig as well as economical 9mm

9. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Thanks! The glock 19 gen 4 was another one I liked as well in my medium sized hands. Lol. I'm heading to the range this Sunday so I hope they have these two for me to shoot. Everyone is right about going to the range first and I guess I'll wait and see what happens then. Thanks again

10. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Thanks! Hmmmm ok ok. Oh and Coors light. Haaaaa

11. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Thanks! The glock 23 .40 felt great and was a perfect fit! However I've heard they have horrible accuracy from a few friends so it got me thinking more. I'm going to the range Sunday so I'll hopefully find what I'm looking for there. And also the 9mm didn't seem so bad until the guy at bass pro told me the .40 has more stopping power. I'm a pretty good shooter with rifles and clay disks but this hand gun/pistol thing is new to me. Thanks again

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  12. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Thanks, I'll check that Walther PPQ out for ****s and giggles when I go to a few more local shops.

13. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Read between the lines and have fun!

nurseKc likes this.
  14. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

Not exactly my favorite beer, but you do a good job of making it look a whole lot better!

15. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Not my fav either but it's what we had. And thanks

PattonWasRight likes this.
  16. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Thanks! Going to the range Sunday so I'll be sure to ask if they have a 19 I can shoot.

loveglocks likes this.
  17. Toni77

Toni77 Member

With no further details I’ll go with the same recommendation someone gave to me: Glock 19. It’s an excellent platform due to low recoil, reliability and fun shooting.

And after that, I’d move to my own prediction: once you get used to that firearm and shooting becomes a lovely hobby for you guns will start to pile up very quickly in your safe so get ready and get a big one in advance

loveglocks and nurseKc like this.
  18. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

Thanks Toni! I definitely will look more into the 19 and shoot it first! Joining this forum has really helped!! Big thank you to everyone!

SHOOTER13 and Toni77 like this.
  19. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Here are a couple of videos I did that shot showing the Glock 19, and other guns in in a pick of the best for self defense. The second video shows the Glock 19 vs. the Glock 43 head to head at various ranges out to 100 yards. The third video shows the Glock 19 going up against a non-Glock gun, a 1911 Sig. Pictures speak a thousand words, and original thoughts and show and tell.

This is just a look at guns I know work, personal experience. Do not limit your choice to my selections here, or others who have made suggestions. The more choices the better, EH? Seeing how they work at different ranges and other skill sets puts light on the possiblities which are limited only by your own head. Have fun, shoot well, and enjoy making what you can conceive into something you can achieve.

nurseKc likes this.
  20. nurseKc

nurseKc New Member

I can't get these damn videos to play. I'll try again in a few. Thanks!!