Opinions on electronic ears

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Angry_Dave, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Angry_Dave

Angry_Dave is being censored

I'm in the market for some electronic ears, what brands do you you guys suggest? I've never owned elec ears so any suggestions or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Dave

2. Tag....

Never tried it but interested in the responses

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

FWIW, I use Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ears. I love 'em, very sensitive (I can hear people walking on gravel) and the audio compression on gunfire is such that normal voices are still very clear. Bought them on sale at Cabela's here in town for $19.99. Retails now for $49.99 here http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-Leight-Impact8482-Sport-Earmuff/708113.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhoward%2Bleight%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=howard+leight&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Not the be-all, end-all, but fantastic performance for the price.

Attached Files:

4. So they muffle out all the gun fire but keep low sounds like voices audible!?

Thats awesome!

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, they filter out extreme high-frequency sounds, like gunfire, but leave mid- and low-frequency sounds alone.

One thing I am so-so about (and this applies to most or all types of electronic ears, I guess), when there is a strong wind blowing, the muting function activates. You can still clearly hear, but get this sensation of dead air or "space" in the background.

I've tried a couple of (the cheaper) electronic ears, find this to be my favorite. Also, they are low profile (so shooting rifles is not an issue, they do not bang on the buttstock) and have a stereo input terminal (standard audio minijack) for connecting things like walkie-talkies or MP3 players, etc.

Not the best ones out there, but they are reasonably priced and work well for me. YMMV.

6. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Subscribed.... My understanding is that the lower the db the better the headset. A lot of them that I have seen muffle down to 24db.

7. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

Actually, the higher the number the better. Foam earplugs can be rated as high as 33 dB. From the link below: "The bottom line is that the decibel scale is not linear. The amplitude of the sound pressure wave actually doubles with every 3 dB increase. For example, a 93 dB spl is twice as loud as a 90 dB spl. Or an ear protector that reduces the spl by 27 dB is actually twice as effective as one that reduces the spl by 24 dB."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hearing_protection.htm

8. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    My daughter bought me a pair of Winchester elec ear muffs. They work great. I wear them during competition and never have to take them off. Somewhere around $35 at Walmart.

9. P35

P35 New Member

I have some from Dillion Precision. Very effective, and durable.

10. IrishRifles

IrishRifles New Member

----------

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  11. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I have the same ones and love them, they are great...

12. Lovethyglock

Lovethyglock New Member

I have these same Winchester ones and they work great. I can hear better with them on than off. They have volume so you can control the sound level. I love them. I believe I paid 24.99 at Walmart.

13. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

Wallmart has a set for less the 30 bucks and they work great. They have separate ear controls that amplify sound with adjustable volume.

14. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

These are the ones that I have... They work.