Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
is being censored
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some electronic ears, what brands do you you guys suggest? I've never owned elec ears so any suggestions or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
FWIW, I use Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ears. I love 'em, very sensitive (I can hear people walking on gravel) and the audio compression on gunfire is such that normal voices are still very clear. Bought them on sale at Cabela's here in town for $19.99. Retails now for $49.99 here http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-Leight-Impact8482-Sport-Earmuff/708113.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhoward%2Bleight%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=howard+leight&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Not the be-all, end-all, but fantastic performance for the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Yes, they filter out extreme high-frequency sounds, like gunfire, but leave mid- and low-frequency sounds alone.

One thing I am so-so about (and this applies to most or all types of electronic ears, I guess), when there is a strong wind blowing, the muting function activates. You can still clearly hear, but get this sensation of dead air or "space" in the background.

I've tried a couple of (the cheaper) electronic ears, find this to be my favorite. Also, they are low profile (so shooting rifles is not an issue, they do not bang on the buttstock) and have a stereo input terminal (standard audio minijack) for connecting things like walkie-talkies or MP3 players, etc.

Not the best ones out there, but they are reasonably priced and work well for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Subscribed.... My understanding is that the lower the db the better the headset. A lot of them that I have seen muffle down to 24db.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually, the higher the number the better. Foam earplugs can be rated as high as 33 dB. From the link below: "The bottom line is that the decibel scale is not linear. The amplitude of the sound pressure wave actually doubles with every 3 dB increase. For example, a 93 dB spl is twice as loud as a 90 dB spl. Or an ear protector that reduces the spl by 27 dB is actually twice as effective as one that reduces the spl by 24 dB."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hearing_protection.htm

·
Registered
534 Posts
My daughter bought me a pair of Winchester elec ear muffs. They work great. I wear them during competition and never have to take them off. Somewhere around $35 at Walmart.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I have some from Dillion Precision. Very effective, and durable.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
FWIW, I use Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ears. I love 'em, very sensitive (I can hear people walking on gravel) and the audio compression on gunfire is such that normal voices are still very clear. Bought them on sale at Cabela's here in town for $19.99. Retails now for $49.99 here http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-Leight-Impact8482-Sport-Earmuff/708113.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhoward%2Bleight%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=howard+leight&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Not the be-all, end-all, but fantastic performance for the price.
I have the same ones and love them, they are great...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Grabber GT said:
My daughter bought me a pair of Winchester elec ear muffs. They work great. I wear them during competition and never have to take them off. Somewhere around $35 at Walmart.
I have these same Winchester ones and they work great. I can hear better with them on than off. They have volume so you can control the sound level. I love them. I believe I paid 24.99 at Walmart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts