Glock Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know has recently gotten their CCL. They do not plan to carry on their person, but do want to have a little something in the car.

And that's what this person bought: A LITTLE something. This individual bought a little .22 pocket pistol. It's a nice little gun, but it's a .22!!! When I asked 'why a .22 for protection' the answer basically that it would be fun to plink with in the woods and very cheap to shoot. If something came up and it was needed for self defense, it would be just as easy to pull the trigger several times to get the same effect as shooting a larger caliber gun once.

I know my opinion on the subject but I'd like yours.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
It's better than nothing, and I sure as hell would not want to be shot by one.

On the flip side, you can get a 380 the size of about any pocket 22lr these days, and I'd much rather rely on 6 rounds of 380 than 8 rounds of 22lr

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
A 22 in the hand is far better than a 50 cal sitting at home in the safe. If they are comfortable with a 22 and nothing else, I say good for them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think I saw somewhere, and if I can find it I will post it here but I read that more animals are killed and more humans are shot with a .22 than any other caliber. There are just so many out there.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
+1 380

But ya, its better than nothing.

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
I've heard of plenty of people being killed by a .22 surprisingly. I used to think it would be dumb to carry one, until my friend let me shoot his Ruger MKII. I could literally unload an entire magazine into the head of the target from 10 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger. I personally still wouldn't carry one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's better than nothing, and I sure as hell would not want to be shot by one.

On the flip side, you can get a 380 the size of about any pocket 22lr these days, and I'd much rather rely on 6 rounds of 380 than 8 rounds of 22lr
+1 bhale, I carry one as a BUG, I also carry a .357 or .40 or 9mm or .45.

I went thru this with a couple of lady's, one was 78 or 79 and didn't like the recoil of anything else, one just could not be convinced that a .38 or 9mm would protect her better. Both of these lady's carry everyday, so I say good for them as at least they do carry.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Multiple hits from a .22 is not, necessarily, equal to a smaller number of hits of a major caliber.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Someone I know has recently gotten their CCL. They do not plan to carry on their person, but do want to have a little something in the car.

And that's what this person bought: A LITTLE something. This individual bought a little .22 pocket pistol. It's a nice little gun, but it's a .22!!! When I asked 'why a .22 for protection' the answer basically that it would be fun to plink with in the woods and very cheap to shoot. If something came up and it was needed for self defense, it would be just as easy to pull the trigger several times to get the same effect as shooting a larger caliber gun once.

I know my opinion on the subject but I'd like yours.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I can understand that but if it is going in the car, why not at least a 9mm then? I always propose that folks only buy the gun they like and will in most cases use, otherwise they will not become proficent with it nor desire to carry it. In otherwords, it will be somewhere other than with them, when it is needed most.

·
1,611 Posts
I'd like to have a Ruger LCR-22:

8 rounds of .22, laser grip, 14.4 ounces-- it would be a nice little gun for an ankle holster(or two).
I wonder if they will make one in .22 Magnum. How about a four shot .44spl? :eek:

·
Banned
214 Posts
I carry nothing less then a 380, sometimes a 9mm. I heard that a 22 if the shot is placed good, like to the head, that it will bounce around and scramble your brains.

·
Banned
214 Posts
I'd like to have a Ruger LCR-22:

8 rounds of .22, laser grip, 14.4 ounces-- it would be a nice little gun for an ankle holster(or two).
I wonder if they will make one in .22 Magnum. How about a four shot .44spl? :eek:
I have one, and let me tell you, its a little beast. The recoil is a monster, because its so light. All the energy goes through your hand. I cant put but two cylinders worth of rounds through it at the range, before I have to call it quits. Strictly for self defense if you ask me, and not for pleasure shooting for me, personally, but great little gun besides. Wait, excuse me, I thoght that was the 38, Im sorry. I did not know they make a 22. Sorry.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK -- I think, in the end, we're all pretty much on the same page here. The .22 would not be a first choice of EDC for most of us, but it could get the job done.
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and opinions!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Up side? A .22lr thru the brain or heart will kill as dead as a nuclear bomb. Down side? You can empty your magazine into Mr. Bad Guy and he can still be on you doing great bodily harm before he bleeds out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts