Glock Forum banner

OPEN Holster Protest

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Blackmagic02 
#1 ·
I am a senior at Ohio University (not Ohio State, people always ask) and we are doing an OPEN holster protest today on campus in support of carry on campus. I would assume that most of us agree that being able to carry on a school campus is something we all want. So we are not only walking around with OPEN holsters, but we also have a discussion table on campus with all kinds of gun facts that we got from www.gunfacts.info. Some of these facts are targeted directly towards women to show how carrying can help them. Hopefully we get some good discussion and shed some light on the subject on campus.

We did let our local LEO's know we were doing this so no one freaked out. Also, I believe there is a school in Florida doing it as well, I dont know what school though.

#8 ·
Check out students for concealed carry on Facebook. They help students organize events like this all over the country. A lot of my friends and I carried empty holsters in college as well. Good luck.

#10 ·
Appears to be more fuel for those wanting to ban guns.
????

No guns, just open holsters. Demonstrates that LEGAL gun owners are abiding by the law.

Stimulates discussions....

#13 ·
Good luck to all of you. TX has a bill currently in the works...I've called my state senator and rep.

#14 ·
Appears to be more fuel for those wanting to ban guns.
I dont really know how you would consider this fuel for them. We werent breaking any laws and we had done our homework so we had good facts and the LEO's were aware of what we were doing.

It went well today though. We had a lot of people sign up for the club email list, but no one really had any discussions. Which was kind of disappointing actually. We are going to have another table Thursday though, so maybe round two will generate some discussion.

#15 ·
I am a senior at Ohio University (not Ohio State, people always ask) and we are doing an OPEN holster protest today on campus in support of carry on campus. I would assume that most of us agree that being able to carry on a school campus is something we all want. So we are not only walking around with OPEN holsters, but we also have a discussion table on campus with all kinds of gun facts that we got from www.gunfacts.info. Some of these facts are targeted directly towards women to show how carrying can help them. Hopefully we get some good discussion and shed some light on the subject on campus.

We did let our local LEO's know we were doing this so no one freaked out. Also, I believe there is a school in Florida doing it as well, I dont know what school though.
My Step sister's husband owns a restaurant on campus. He will be wetting himself in a corner somewhere!!!! More power to ya all and God Bless!!

#17 ·
Suggestion for the OP, why not invite local LEO to join you so that they can give students their opinions about law abiding citizens carrying firearms as a means for self-protection. Will give them an opportunity to mingle with and educate the public community they have sworn to protect.

Also like the empty holster symbolism. Says it all, without having to say a word.

#18 ·
Suggestion for the OP, why not invite local LEO to join you so that they can give students their opinions about law abiding citizens carrying firearms as a means for self-protection. Will give them an opportunity to mingle with and educate the public community they have sworn to protect.

Also like the empty holster symbolism. Says it all, without having to say a word.
I agree. Good PR if you have your local LE's on your side. Pretty sure I read the University in FL doing the same thing is FAU. I wish they would hold a similar protest at U of L although I doubt it would do any good. Most (not all) Acadamianuts are anti-gun libs. My Wife is an exception to the rule but pretty much has to keep her opinions to herself. She is Admin/Faculty and ocassionally has to fire someone or deal with a disgruntled student. I worry and feel like she should have every right to defend herself should the need arise. I bought a Kimber Pepper Blaster for her that she keeps in her desk drawer. She has a baseball bat (Louisville Slugger of course) in her office, and keeps a tactical pen and Surefire E2DL in her purse. Best we can do legally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.