Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Glocker
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some ideas for small,relatively inexpensive gun that I can open carry. I am not able to get my ccw yet so while I wait,I want to OC. What do you think would be a good gun? I don't want to carry my G21 because I think it's to big.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I hate to say it, but you could always get a Hi Point. :) I'll probably get flamed for sayin' that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't speak to Hi Point's pistols, but I can with the KelTec PF-9. I owned one for 3 weeks. The worst mistake I ever made. It shoots for crap, way too harsh, even with low power Federal FMJ ammo. Accuracy was hard to accomplish due to recoil. I had a Ruger LC9 and it shot way better. The crappy PF-9 is what I traded in on my new G26. Do yourself a favor, skip the PF-9.
I would get one of the $400 1911's out there for open carry. Buds gun shop has a whole section for 1911's listed by price. I owned an American Classic II and it was a nice gun. I'm sorry I traded it, but I didn't have the money for my G21sf.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Under the guidelines of cost & size you've set, I'd also have to go with the G30. Your just not going to find a gun worth carrying for much under 350-400. The Glock .45's give you top performance at bargain basement prices. They really are the best deal out there in auto pistols. It is vexing that the price of good sidearms has gone sky high. I can't touch any of the S&W revolvers I like for less then $800.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Since you have the G21, why not go for the G30..same caliber, compact, and in about the same price range as the Ruger or the off brand 1911. That would be my route if I were doing what you are doing.
Just because it doesn't say Springfield, Colt, Kimber or other high end names, doesn't make them not worth owning. I have several. Great pistols.

Now on to the subject at hand. I too, would recommend the G30, but in the sf or Gen4 version.

·
367 Posts
I need some ideas for small,relatively inexpensive gun that I can open carry. I am not able to get my ccw yet so while I wait,I want to OC. What do you think would be a good gun? I don't want to carry my G21 because I think it's to big.
I'm missing something here fuzz. Generally one would want a smaller gun to conceal carry. G30 or G26/27 are great for conceal carry. A G21 is in my mind a great O/C weapon. Just my .02 cents, adjusted for inflation they are worthless.

·
Glocker
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ZO6Vettever said:
I'm missing something here fuzz. Generally one would want a smaller gun to conceal carry. G30 or G26/27 are great for conceal carry. A G21 is in my mind a great O/C weapon. Just my .02 cents, adjusted for inflation they are worthless.
I don't want to bring a lot of attention having a large gun on my side

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
not sure what you're price point would be on these but my recommendation would be either the G27 (.40 cal) or a Springfield XD Subcompact .40. They are both reliable and small enough to carry but have that stopping power you need. The Springfields shoot VERY smoothly and are very reliable. It'll probably be one of my next guns to get for CC.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I don't know if you can get there from here. My little J Frame S&W Model 31 .32 Long is about the smallest handgun I have that would be effective inside of ten feet, and if I outside carry it, you can still see it plain as day. Sorry I can't really be of much help, but nothing is coming to mind that would work.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I hate to say it, but you could always get a Hi Point. :) I'll probably get flamed for sayin' that.
Ditto on the PF9 and the hi point.

I've shot several high points and while heavy, they're pretty beefy and can take a lot of abuse.

D

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
fuzzytofu said:
Any gun Oc will bring attention.

glockpackingfuzz said:
With open carry, anything you have on your hip, is going to draw attention. In that case, you are going to want to carry something you shoot well.
Agreed i use my 20 for Oc. 27 for concealed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.