Glock Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Grand Rapids Michigan. I hear about people open carrying but have never seen it. Although I choose not to open carry I support it. We are an open carry state, I'm curious as to why I never see it occur.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Raptor said:
I live in Grand Rapids Michigan. I hear about people open carrying but have never seen it. Although I choose not to open carry I support it. We are an open carry state, I'm curious as to why I never see it occur.
Here in AZ, I open carry all the time, almost every day. If people don't see it than how do they get used to it? Never once had a problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey i'm from Indiana and i open carry all the time aswell , and i too believe that if you don't do it with so many people having a fear of guns , than how are they going to learn and get over that fear. show them , teach them , and they will learn .

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMHO, it's the time and effort if being stopped that was reported by someone that is overly cautious and/or uneasy with seeing an individual open carrying. I've seen the vids of folks that OC - having to film being stopped by an LEO and having to recite statutes/bylaws. Their unwillingness to provide ID when asked by LEO and the whole ordeal is enough to make me CC than OC. My take.

But I have to confess I've been known to CC in an establishment that has a sign "No Firearms Permitted". Truth be known I have also turned around and left establishments as well. Also live in AZ.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Raptor said:
I agree. Just.curious why there is not more of it.
A lot of people don't want to risk the extra attention. I have yet to have anyone ask me questions but my OCing and by having a good calm attitude I am showing that we aren't bad people. I dress nicely and am polite. If people see this more often, they don't think of it as a bad thing.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
Same, OC is legal here too in CT, I would do it but the police are ball busters on the subject. Would like to attempt it but never have and probally won't as I don't like/want the unwanted LEO attention.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I live in MI and aside from my LGS, I have only seen someone open carry one time. It was in a Target store.

My initial thought was, "huh, cool". And you know what? I did not see anyone else panicking

I have thought about it, but to date, have not done it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If confronted and if I open carried I would provide identification just to make their job easier.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I open carry almost everyday. I live in ky and have never had any problems. I went down to the police station ( unarmed) to ask them about it an they said its perfectly legal but it draws unwanted attention and that I may be get stopped but it would just be to make sure I wasn't going to hurt anyone. If I was stopped I would compile just to make the whole situation go over
Calmly

·
Registered
164 Posts
I live in GR too!

Have you been to michiganopencarry.com? They list events on their forums although most of it seems to be on the east side of the state.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I open carry in KY all the time. Small towns and big cities and I've never had a LEO problem and the only time people say anything about are just curious. No one has panicked or freaked out. Some people don't like guns and upon asking me if I'm a cop and find out I'm not they ask why I have a gun. I politely tell them that KY is an open carry state and that as long as you do it legally (not a felon) you can OC anywhere that it's allowed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most people who can open carry don't because they generally do not want the added attention that "may" come from local law enforcement for a variety of reasons.

I do open carry daily under a variety of conditions that allow me to do this in Florida.

There have been no panic attacks by the citizens nor have there been any calls of "man with a gun".

I have been temporarily stopped by local LEO's (three times last year) but in all cases I was sent on my way still open carrying. The time spent with the law was comfortable and informative for both parties.

Most people do NOT want to have anything to do with the police during their normal routine but it doesn't seem to bother me.

Also, most people will feel very self conscious when they first wear an open gun if they're not used to it. Once you do this a lot, you don't even think about it AND it's a very comfortable way to carry your weapon.

I'm one of those guys who really dislikes carrying a gun in my pants. I find it much better to carry it ON my pants (belt).

AD

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
GR is not an intelligent place to OC. MI in general isn't. Be aware in MI, GR in particular, if you open carry you are part of an experiment. The MSP sends out a memo twice a year reminding officers to stop arresting people for OC and that it is legal.

GRPD is going to stop you 8/10 times because there has been MASSIVE problems with OC in GR in the past three years.

If you want to carry my friends Alan, Scott, and Tony teach a CPL class for like $75. It is a ton of fun and you will learn a lot. Great group of guys. They also teach Krav Maga ;)

http://wmiselfdefense.com/ccw/ccw.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nukinfuts29 said:
GR is not an intelligent place to OC. MI in general isn't. Be aware in MI, GR in particular, if you open carry you are part of an experiment. The MSP sends out a memo twice a year reminding officers to stop arresting people for OC and that it is legal.

GRPD is going to stop you 8/10 times because there has been MASSIVE problems with OC in GR in the past three years.

If you want to carry my friends Alan, Scott, and Tony teach a CPL class for like $75. It is a ton of fun and you will learn a lot. Great group of guys. They also teach Krav Maga ;)

http://wmiselfdefense.com/ccw/ccw.html
Are you in the GR area?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts