Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am pretty new to gun ownership and have a lot to learn. So I was wondering what states have open carry? Is there a website somewhere that has a list or maybe we could just put our own list together. I think this could be helpful for pretty much everyone.

· If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
10,247 Posts
The best reference for open carry that I have found is USAcarry.com
They cover both open and concealed. They also have links to individual state laws as references.

· One in the chamber
214 Posts
Got to be careful in some states. Open carry in general is legal in the state, but in some city's it's not allowed. So if you buy a book I would make sure I would make sure it's up to date. The uscarry web sites update frequently .

· Registered
385 Posts
Michigan is an open carry friendly state, and have no ordinances in any city restricting it. We wrote Michigan's amendments to clarify, local ordinances cannot override state. It's a possibility of being harassed, but I never look shady when doing so and dress professional. Our pistol free zones, allow OC only, but schools, bars and stadiums people tend to look.

· Registered
28 Posts
Here in Alabama we are open carry but as stated above, some municipalities do not allow it. You will get the occasional looks, especially since the conn. shooting. No one really practices OC here. A lot has changed since the wild west times

· Donnie
674 Posts
In South Dakota we are open carry and I've never been harassed even being a big guy with a beard and tattoos that are very visible. Although I have seen a customer at a Chinese buffet get asked to leave cause he was carrying.. I'm not sure but it might have something to do with his head being covered in tattoos along with his arms and hands. Nicest guy in the world had two little kids with him and his wife and he still got kicked out.. Yet I didn't.. Strange.

· Registered
13 Posts
Minnesota isn't bad. Gotta have a permit to carry either way though. But providing you don't fiddle with it alot or draw attention most people don't notice. And alot of those who do might try to stare without you knowing they're staring. And then the once in awhile ******* questioning why you need it and whatever else. I just remain calm, tell them I have my permit and am legal to exercise my to carry a pistol. And that if they continue to harass me for doing nothing wrong I'll call the police. It usually (so far) resolves itself quickly from there. Just remember. Don't pull your gun cause someone's being a dick. Tempting. Haha. Joking. Joking

· Donnie
674 Posts
Minnesota isn't bad. Gotta have a permit to carry either way though. But providing you don't fiddle with it alot or draw attention most people don't notice. And alot of those who do might try to stare without you knowing they're staring. And then the once in awhile ******* questioning why you need it and whatever else. I just remain calm, tell them I have my permit and am legal to exercise my to carry a pistol. And that if they continue to harass me for doing nothing wrong I'll call the police. It usually (so far) resolves itself quickly from there. Just remember. Don't pull your gun cause someone's being a dick. Tempting. Haha. Joking. Joking
What part of Minnesota are you from?
Buddy of mine is from Windom.. His family has some land near there with plenty of room to shoot. And plenty of guns to shoot :)

· Registered
13 Posts
rockinagl23 said:
What part of Minnesota are you from?
Buddy of mine is from Windom.. His family has some land near there with plenty of room to shoot. And plenty of guns to shoot :)
I live a little outside of faribault. About 50 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Friend of mine also owns a lot of land. I could probably just go shoot on the other side of his property and he wouldn't even know I was there haha. No need to call and ask permission. No I'm joking. When it comes to guns I ALWAYS ask.

· Banned
357 Posts
Colorado is open carry; however, it is not legal in Denver, Denver County, or Manitou Springs. Concealed carry is legal on University campuses thanks to a recent state supreme court decision but I know for a fact that Pikes Peak Community College will not permit open carry.

· Donnie
674 Posts
I live a little outside of faribault. About 50 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Friend of mine also owns a lot of land. I could probably just go shoot on the other side of his property and he wouldn't even know I was there haha. No need to call and ask permission. No I'm joking. When it comes to guns I ALWAYS ask.
I havent been to the cities since the vikes last play off game. Always have a lot of fun up there.
I definately always ask permission to shoot on someones land, never been told no around here.

· Donnie
674 Posts
Colorado is open carry; however, it is not legal in Denver, Denver County, or Manitou Springs. Concealed carry is legal on University campuses thanks to a recent state supreme court decision but I know for a fact that Pikes Peak Community College will not permit open carry.
Here citys/towns cant ban open carry or concealed carry.
just cant carry in schools, bars and the like.
Not sure about colleges or tech schools tho.

· Another gun nut
13,252 Posts
Ohio is an "open" carry state. No one does it and the few that have done are harassed by the police and of course make the evening news!
One of my LEO friends made a valid point about open vs concealed carry in Ohio. "If you open carry in public you expose yourself as a target of a bad person with a gun. If they are intent on the crime you are #1 to be taken out. Where if you concealed you have the element of surprise.";)

· Registered
15,664 Posts
buildit said:
One of my LEO friends made a valid point about open vs concealed carry in Ohio. "If you open carry in public you expose yourself as a target of a bad person with a gun. If they are intent on the crime you are #1 to be taken out. Where if you concealed you have the element of surprise.";)
In Washington State, we can open carry, but this has always been my exact thought!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.