Oregon Open carry in car okay?

Discussion in 'North West USA' started by scott_see, Oct 10, 2013.

1. scott_see

scott_see New Member

I don't have a concealed carry permit for Oregon. Is it okay for me to drive in Oregon with a gun in plain view? I've been reading up on this and that's what it seems like. Somehow that doesn't sound right though.

2. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Not loaded or within reach of the occupants. Multnomah county has their own set of special rules. You can't even have a loaded mag in the car without a CCW.

3. encee

encee Well-Known Member

handgunlaw.us is an awesome source for these questions. I'm goin from AZ to TX soon with no CHL. No rules in AZ, OC or in the car is fine in NM, and keeping it in the car is okay in TX. I found that out with just a couple of clicks. Go check out the site, just click the state and tons of info appears.

4. scott_see

scott_see New Member

According to handgunlaw.us

Oregon has no State law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it’s : (a) Not concealed or
    (b) “Not readily accessible.”

This is what prompted me to post this question in the first place. It seems odd that it's okay for me to drive around Oregon with my guns lying on the passenger seat.

5. scott_see

scott_see New Member

I find this paragraph even more contradictory:

So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible."

6. encee

encee Well-Known Member

Holy crap. That is confusing. Hopefully a local on here can offer advice.

7. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Without a permit you are safest to keep it in a case, unloaded, and in the trunk. Keep your ammo in a separate case. Loaded magazine will get you in trouble in the city of Portland/Multnomah County. If you don't have a trunk a locked case is your best bet. Much easier to get your permit and not have to worry about it.

8. Whisky

Whisky New Member

uh.....as long as it's out of sight (handgun, I'm talkin')

be careful

9. encee

encee Well-Known Member

Yessir. For sure. If I have to take this trip prior to getting my permit, it stays in the glove box.

10. Whisky

Whisky New Member

a handgun in a vehicle, in Texas, has to be out of sight - CHL or no CHL

11. scott_see

scott_see New Member

And to further complicate things, I've read that LEO's often disagree among themselves as to what the law is.

12. scott_see

scott_see New Member

13. rix4x4

rix4x4 Member

Yes, that is how I read it. On the seat or dash, as long as its not concealed but still within reach or readily accessible.

14. take it from someone in OREGON not some one looking it up online. before i got my CHL i would keep it on the seat or inbetween seats on my car got pulled over twice, 1st time was the police, 2nd time was a trooper dropped the mag out threw gun on the dash kept my hands on the steering wheel and right when they walk up before they can say anything i would say "hey i have a gun in here" the police dude took it ran the serial #...trooper has me get out never touched the gun and ran my name. said i should try getting a CHL and that was it. so YES you can open carry

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  15. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

I've never been pulled over, but if I was, the last thing I would EVER do is TOUCH THE WEAPON AT ALL. If they see you handling it at all, they're likely to come to your window with their weapon drawn.

16. rix4x4

rix4x4 Member

I AM in Oregon, have been carrying concealed for over 20 years. Any time I've been pulled over, after handing them my drivers license, CHL and vehicle registration, they've asked me if I am carrying and where the handgun was and I've told them. Before obtaining my CHL, anytime I was pulled over, the handgun was in plain sight on the dash or seat next to me, and my hands were on the steering wheel. Let them know what I had and where it was and has never been a problem.
    Have always had better experiences with state troopers than local PD.

17. scott_see

scott_see New Member

This is why I love forums like this. Thank you for posting this.

18. scott_see

scott_see New Member

Thanks. This is why forums are so much better than any website sometimes.

19. kennydale

kennydale Well-Known Member

In Texas it's different. They consider your car an extension of your home. A CCL is not required to have a firearm in your car. HOWEVER, it must be concealed. (You can have it laying on the passenger seat with a newspaper or magazine over it. That's considered concealed)

20. TheFactor

TheFactor The Glock Factor

Got pulled over one time in Oregon did not have a firearm on my person or in vehicle . When the officer realized I had a CCW after he called me in he had a major Attitude and wanted to know why I didn't tell him I had a CCW . I explained because I didn't have any weapons on my person or vehicle . He stated I still should of told him anyway and was almost yelling at me .I dont believe there's any law stating that you have to tell them especially if you don't have any weapons . Obliviously when I do I always keep my hands on the steering wheel and tell them were its at on my person or vehicle and that I do have a CCW . I'd also like to state I have the greatest respect for Police officers and the jobs they have to do and protect us. I think this particular officer was just having a bad day like we all do . With that being said I still wasn't happy with the way I was treated .