Open 9major Glock Project

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Blackridge, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Blackridge

Blackridge New Member

I've been going to USPSA events in the area the past few months, going the Production route. My new FIL shots open with all his cronies, and I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start giving him and his buds a little competition. Not just for fun, sh*t talking, but because Open guns seem like ****ing beasts!

So I bit the bullet and decided to throw together an Open build. The parts (which just arrived at home) are:

KKM 40-9mm conversion barrel
    Carver 4 port compensator
    SJC C-more mount
    C-more slide-ride 8moa

I'll be throwing these on an older Glock 22 (gen3) I rarely use, along with a DP magwell, comp trigger, improved guiderod, and tuned magazines from an earlier Limited setup.

I'm not aware of any local Glock-smiths that are familiar with the SJC mount install, so figured I'd take that on myself. Should be interesting, since the installation instructions are a little on the vague side. Figured I'd get a topic going on it in-case anyone else decides to try something similar

Pics to follow! (wish me luck...)

2. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

how is the project going? and good luck by the way. I have been thinking about going to compete one day. just for the practice I can get from it and the fun. I have a G19 that I barely use and sits in the safe all the time. i was considering selling it but I might just keep it and make it a project.

3. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I second that, good luck! Where is the update? I am looking forward to seeing it!

4. Blackridge

Blackridge New Member

Thanks guys! Gotta admit, was far more stressful than I was expecting... but it worked out sooooooooooooooo well

Finished the major part of the project last week (drilling the frame out for the SJC cmore mount), and been trying to tune the ejection pattern now. I guess thats a huge part of it... I kept getting FTE's with the cases getting stuck between the mount and slide.

Lowered the ejection port (with a dremel, UGH) down to almost the serial numbers, added an extended ejector, new spring loaded bearing and White Sound Defense increased tension extractor assembly and now everything seems to be running 100%!

This first pic shows the mount, red dot, barrel and comp
    [​IMG]

The 2nd shows some of the tools involved. This was taken while measuring where the drill the frame which was the craziest part of the entire project. It involved making 2x 17/64 (I believe) cuts directly into and through the Glocks frame (one of those high stress pucker moments, where you DONT want to mess up.... which I did, then spent 2+ hours doing damage control w/ the drill/dremel to get it to where it needed to be).

I have some pics of the holes somewhere, I'll post them as soon as I find them.[​IMG]

After major components had been fitted/installed
    [​IMG]

The finished product!! I love this thing, with minor/major loads it feels like you're shooting a 22lr, and just makes shooting a blast. If you havent thrown a red dot on one of your pistols, its definitely worth the money/effort/blood/sweat and tears. It made for a very satisfying project
    [​IMG]

5. Blackridge

Blackridge New Member

Heres a quick PS image I did to show where and abouts how large the cut into the frame is
    [​IMG]

6. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

nice job! how much have you invested in the project minus the pistol? I guess i have to wait for my project. I traded my G19 for a beretta 92F made in 1987. I figured I can get a glock anytime i want but a beretta 92F not. I really wanted one of those. I still have my G23 (carry gun so I won't mess with it so much) and my G21(which i could use for a project but it will be expensive to shoot).

Where is a good place for me to learn about the use of different spring rates for recoil springs, FP springs, trigger springs, etc? I know they are used mostly for custom projects but im clueless about combining them.