Glock Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
So far I have taken 2 classes - one for CCW, and another basic firearms training/instruction session. I'd like to also take a more tactical class perhaps focused more on self-defense. My wife is also planning to take some classes.
Sounds like a plan. Having a round in the chamber is no different than having all the chambers loaded in a revolver. If the trigger is protected it's a non issue.

Pulling a semiauto and jacking the slide is pure hollywood.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
A friend of mine did some ride-alongs years ago with several Texas and Arizona PDs before he went to work for Border Patrol. He said that back in the 80s it was SOP for many agencies down there to carry a revolver with the first cylinder empty, not because they were worried about an accidental discharge, but because they wanted to buy a little extra time incase they were disarmed.........that is one of the worst policies I've ever heard of. You'd have to double tape with a revolver to get one shot off. Crazy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are serious about carrying a firearm for self defense you need to learn to carry with one in the chamber. You may have to use your off hand to fend someone off while drawing and using your firearm and not be able to or have the time to rack the slide. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire and you will be fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A friend of mine did some ride-alongs years ago with several Texas and Arizona PDs before he went to work for Border Patrol. He said that back in the 80s it was SOP for many agencies down there to carry a revolver with the first cylinder empty, not because they were worried about an accidental discharge, but because they wanted to buy a little extra time incase they were disarmed.........that is one of the worst policies I've ever heard of. You'd have to double tape with a revolver to get one shot off. Crazy.
I became a LEO in 76. Revolvers were the order of the day. I know some that kept the first cylinder chamber empty for that reason. I though it was garbage then, and I still do.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
50,251 Posts
bhale187 said:
I don't doubt your story. I've heard officers make some stupid statements involving firearms but that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I was police through the 90's in Texas and never heard that one. As far as SOP most officers kept chamber empty on their cruiser shotgun for psychological advantage upon pulling it out and racking it.

·
Dude
244 Posts
I get a little irritated with the statement or argument that Glocks dont have an 'external safety'. IT'S CALLED YOUR FINGER. dont touch the trigger unless you want that Glock to fire!!

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
I don't doubt your story. I've heard officers make some stupid statements involving firearms but that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I was police through the 90's in Texas and never heard that one. As far as SOP most officers kept chamber empty on their cruiser shotgun for psychological advantage upon pulling it out and racking it.
My PD its still SOP to keep the chamber empty on our shotguns, supposedly that stems from back when we had Ithica 37s and they were reported to accidently discharge when dropped with one in the chamber. I've never researched that to confirm it, just the story I've been told as to why we still have that SOP.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
That wouldn't be a good idea with a 1911.
The triggers are often very light and short trigger pull, but there are plenty of safeties on the post 80 1911s that would keep if from firing unless you hand is wrapped around it and you touch the trigger.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As a few have said, always carry with one in the chamber. I agree with someone else that originally posted this but I loved it.
"There's two ways to carry your firearm, condition 1 or dead."
Law enforcement carries with condition 1, with a good quality holster there shouldn't be any concerns.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
From the first day I got my CC ive carried in condition one. If you trust yourself and know your firearm and have a good holster there is no problem.

Plus with DA/SA pistols you really have to pull the trigger for something to happen anyway. It's not gonna accidentally get pulled

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.