Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still relatively new to firearms and shooting. I really started getting serious about guns and shooting back in March and a little later received my CCW. I have been carrying now for just a little while, but I have not been able to get comfortable yet carrying my guns with one in the chamber in large part because my wife and myself worry about a higher potentIal for an accident happening in general or somehow with my 2 boys (7 and 10)...inadvertently climbing on me, etc. My two carry guns are a Glock 26 and Colt 1911 .45 ACP. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GlockIt said:
With children around I 100% understand with your concern about keeping your firearm in condition one. But I would reccomend that you train racking your slide when you draw your firearm if you have the ability to do so.
That's good advice. I do practice that during some range sessions, but I should practice it more at home with some snap caps. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SeventiesWreckers said:
If you have a good, high quality holster, with a high level of retention, there is really nothing to be concerned about. Police Officers deal with combative individuals as part of their job, and their holsters retain their sidearms just as they were designed to. I carried my 1911 in a Galco for years in Condition 1, with just a basic thumb break snap for retention. I don't think I would want to be rough housing with a 7 & 10 year old with mine strapped on though, somebody might get bumped in the noggin. I'd probably want to take it off for that.
I have a White Hat tactical cut and a N82 for CCW. Both holsters secure the firearms pretty well and kind of "snap" in to position and require a slight twist and pull of the gun to retrieve it from the holster. I agree with your comment and wouldn't intentionally play rough with the boys while carrying, but sometimes things happen "spontaneously". LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I definitely have been educating the boys on firearms and firearms safety, because they are extremely interested and curious with anything to do with guns. I have a good bedside quick access safe as well as a larger safe for more guns and ammo, etc. I guess I still have to chew on this a bit, I would prefer to carry with one in the chamber ready to go, but I still have some reservations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for all of the great feedback. Since I finally took the plunge back in March into gun ownership I am consumed with interest in learning as much as I can about all aspects (safety, training, history, legal, sport, etc.). This forum has been such a great resource, and I'm very impressed at the kinship that fellow firearm owners have with each other.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wolfgang2000 said:
Brady, have you and your wife though about taking a class to bring you and her up to speed, on gun handling and marksmanship?

There are several out there, all across the country. Just food for thought.
So far I have taken 2 classes - one for CCW, and another basic firearms training/instruction session. I'd like to also take a more tactical class perhaps focused more on self-defense. My wife is also planning to take some classes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sandie_Morehead said:
I didn't carry with one in the chamber. I went from a pistol that had the standard thumb lever safety, to a gun that did not have a "safety" as I was used to and it made me nervous to chamber a round and carry it.

I'm still a bit nervous with the new .45, and it has the duck tail safety as well as the trigger safety switch, but it's only a couple days old and I haven't gotten used to carrying a bigger weapon yet. I will be chambering a round in this one in a few days.

From the time we had a daughter mobile and curious, we started gun safety with her. She was NEVER allowed to play with toy guns in our house because of the potential to "mix up" toys and real guns. We taught her to get an adult when she saw a gun laying around, toy or otherwise.

When she was about 6, we started taking her to outdoor ranges to go shooting with us. We taught her how to handle a gun, how to ask to have someone show her the empty chamber before handing her a gun, how to never accept a gun unless the slide was open and she could see it was empty, pistol and rifle.

We taught her to load a magazine and her first pistol was a Raven .25, that she learned to shoot, load, unload, and clean. She's now 14 and shoots my G17, as well as hubby's Springfield .45.

She's also shot my Ruger .22 LR, and her Daddy's AR15, but she finds rifles to be cumbersome and heavy. She's definitely a pistol girl. =)

Ironically, my sister hates guns...but she buys her kids toy guns to play with and lets them run around, pretending to shoot people or pets...sees nothing wrong with it. The first time my daughter did this, we PROMPTLY corrected her and she never did it again, but my sister thinks we're "too strict" and "toys are harmless".

In comparison, her kids freak out or get overly excited when they see us wearing our pistols, but my daughter is calm and blase about guns. The only time she shows any interest in them is when we're at the range. Any other time, she could care less, won't touch them unless we ask her to hold one while we're doing something, such as cleaning them, knows better than to pick one up without asking.
Well done Sandie! I'm still working on it with my kids. They're somewhere in between.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.