Glock Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
A good quality holster that covers the trigger. Plus a quick access vault when you get home. Educate the kids on firearms and safety.
+++1

I wouldn't hurt to familiarize them with firearms now. When the wife and I got married we had 4 kids between us ranging from to 16.

Being that we were both LEO's Loaded guns around the house was a way of life. One day we took all the kids and all the guns and let them shoot every one of them.

First shot by me was a hot 45 HP into a cantaloupe. Impression made. after we ran out of ammo their curiosity was satisfied. Rules were laid out right there in front of all the kids. We never really had any problems after that.

The daughter use to bring suitors home to shot them some of my duty guns.

Today we have a lot of things like little bedside safes, and biometric reader that give a person instant access. These things weren't around in 1980. So we had to do it the old fashion way.

I should add that I've always carried my guns hot. fully loaded including one in the chamber. a proper holster and your finger off the trigger.

I never played with any of the kids with a gun on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Brady, have you and your wife though about taking a class to bring you and her up to speed, on gun handling and marksmanship?

There are several out there, all across the country. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So far I have taken 2 classes - one for CCW, and another basic firearms training/instruction session. I'd like to also take a more tactical class perhaps focused more on self-defense. My wife is also planning to take some classes.
Sounds like a plan. Having a round in the chamber is no different than having all the chambers loaded in a revolver. If the trigger is protected it's a non issue.

Pulling a semiauto and jacking the slide is pure hollywood.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A friend of mine did some ride-alongs years ago with several Texas and Arizona PDs before he went to work for Border Patrol. He said that back in the 80s it was SOP for many agencies down there to carry a revolver with the first cylinder empty, not because they were worried about an accidental discharge, but because they wanted to buy a little extra time incase they were disarmed.........that is one of the worst policies I've ever heard of. You'd have to double tape with a revolver to get one shot off. Crazy.
I became a LEO in 76. Revolvers were the order of the day. I know some that kept the first cylinder chamber empty for that reason. I though it was garbage then, and I still do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.