Glock Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Get a good holster and carrying condition one is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I started my daughter off when she was 2 or 3 by watching the NRA's Eddie Eagle gun saftey movie, you can probably get it on ebay. At that time I was teaching her to just not touch them. At about 4 we started talking about safe handling of firearms, and at 6 I started letting her handle some firearms as we would talk about gun safety rules. She's about to turn 7 and we are talking about going to the range sometime soon so she can shoot for the first time.

My son is 3 almost 4, and for more impulsive than my daughter so he may be stuck in the 'don't touch' mode a little longer than my daughter was.

I think it really depends alot on the individual child, some are ready for learning gun safety younger than others.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Usually it's the employer that puts the restrictions on people with regards to firearms
That's true, but I figured he knew about the policies of the company he works for since he was asking where he could find the laws.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
A friend of mine did some ride-alongs years ago with several Texas and Arizona PDs before he went to work for Border Patrol. He said that back in the 80s it was SOP for many agencies down there to carry a revolver with the first cylinder empty, not because they were worried about an accidental discharge, but because they wanted to buy a little extra time incase they were disarmed.........that is one of the worst policies I've ever heard of. You'd have to double tape with a revolver to get one shot off. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I don't doubt your story. I've heard officers make some stupid statements involving firearms but that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I was police through the 90's in Texas and never heard that one. As far as SOP most officers kept chamber empty on their cruiser shotgun for psychological advantage upon pulling it out and racking it.
My PD its still SOP to keep the chamber empty on our shotguns, supposedly that stems from back when we had Ithica 37s and they were reported to accidently discharge when dropped with one in the chamber. I've never researched that to confirm it, just the story I've been told as to why we still have that SOP.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
That wouldn't be a good idea with a 1911.
The triggers are often very light and short trigger pull, but there are plenty of safeties on the post 80 1911s that would keep if from firing unless you hand is wrapped around it and you touch the trigger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.